Heater box...maybe I left a piece out?

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
So I was getting ready to put this in the car and found this other rod (laying on top). I don't see any place that could possibly go to, but figured it has to be from the heater box, right?

Please tell me that someone knows where that thing goes...heater box or not!

IMG_0811_zps10fcfd8a.jpg

That rusty rod is for hanging it in the car. The hook end goes up into the cowl, and the L-shape at the bottom screws into the housing to hold it up against the round seal.

It goes inside the housing by the round part and bolts to the bottom of the case by the passenger side vent box.

Ahaaaaa! I have been eyeing that hole in the bottom of the pass fresh air vent/heater section suspiciously. Thanks, you are a genius!

Ahaaaaa! I have been eyeing that hole in the bottom of the pass fresh air vent/heater section suspiciously. Thanks, you are a genius!

Thanks.

But I'm not a genius, just done that many times.... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

In that case I feel your pain. One was way more than enough. My buddy and I often talk about how exciting a car project can be, except doing a big overhaul where you wind up with a thousand sub projects, the heater box being a tedious un-fun one!

And the back cramps you get while putting them back in.... :banghead: :wack:

Be very careful when threading the rod to the bottom of the heater box, you can crack/strip/break the bottom of the heaterbox.

Be very careful when threading the rod to the bottom of the heater box, you can crack/strip/break the bottom of the heaterbox.

X2 on this one.
mine (a 66 dart) has a ridge inside the heater box that the rod "supposedly" is a stop. DUH 40+ year old "whatever the box is made of stuff" vs metal guess what wins? so after glass beading the rod and chasing the threads on the bolt, I used pliers to hold the rod from twisting and breaking the stop (after I epoxied it back into place:eek:ops:) Also where the bolt went through on the bottom I added a small circular piece of black 1/8" ABS to help take the load. made me feel better about putting the box back in for support and sealing to the cowl.

Had to do a repair on Dads. If I remember correct, I added a thin metal strip for support on the outside of the box. I believe the box is made outta bakelite??
Also where the metal clips "attach/snap" over the halves are VERY VERY tight. Be VERY VERY careful or you could break the box. When we were putting the halves back together, I weakened the metal clips a bit so there wasnt as much tension on these almost 50 year old parts.

Bought a '72 Scamp a couple of years ago. 53,000 mile car. First fall I had it, you would have thought I had the vent doors open. Needed to replace the heater core the next spring and while removing the heater box, I noticed a large gap between the box and the cowl. The box didn't have this rod in it and there was no hole in the bottom of the heater box either. It had the "slots" molded into it, but no hole and no rod. Purchased a rod from a fellow FABO member and now no breezes.

Outstanding! I'll watch out, I know the bakelite stuff is pretty fragile and I sweated the whole time putting those snap clips back on. I'll add a washer or something for the hole!

Speaking of heater parts - I'm looking at the vacuum line set for the HVAC controls. Engine was out when I bought the car so so things I didn't get to see intact. The lines the run in to the engine bay, are they supposed to be stiff and connect with rubber couplers? Or are mine just hard from heat and age? They're pretty solid on the engine bay end, and I figured it could be either situation.

-
Back