Heater box swap

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I have a 70 Dodge Dart and I am swapping in a dash frame from a 74 duster (so I can have the "square" cluster), I know that the heater controls are different, but will the cables attach to a 72 and older heater box?

If not, will a 73-76 heater box bolt into my 70 firewall. Car is Non AC and will stay that way.

Thanks for the help.

the mounting rod is different between the heater boxes but the physical shape is the same. either box or controls should work.

there are 2 screws that mount the controls to dash frame from the rear. I would undo them and keep the 70 box and controls intact.

the mounting rod is different between the heater boxes but the physical shape is the same. either box or controls should work.

there are 2 screws that mount the controls to dash frame from the rear. I would undo them and keep the 70 box and controls intact.

The 70 controls are gone... I have 74 controls and busted up 70 box. A member has a 70 box for sale, but I read in another thread the controls are different, which I know, but does that mean that the 74 controls won't control the 70 box??

I think that is the biggest question...

I am still looking for an answer to this. Im hoping someone can chime in.

I did a google search, and from what I can tell it looks like the 70 controls have 3 cables? My 70 box has 3 "blend doors" I don't have the 70 controls to compare to the 74 controls though.

To recap, just wondering if the 74 controls will control a 70 heater box. Non AC on both.

Thanks again!

no they will not, the 73 up only has 2 cables and they are in different locations,
i just did this swap to my 72 demon, I put the 73 up controls and center dash bezel in (because I like the fact that the 73 up lights up) but also had to change heater box to make the cables work correctly, you will also have to change the metal plate on the front of the box, though they are the same shape the 73 up has 3 mounting studs and the 72 back has 4

no they will not, the 73 up only has 2 cables and they are in different locations,
i just did this swap to my 72 demon, I put the 73 up controls and center dash bezel in (because I like the fact that the 73 up lights up) but also had to change heater box to make the cables work correctly, you will also have to change the metal plate on the front of the box, though they are the same shape the 73 up has 3 mounting studs and the 72 back has 4

Thank you! I noticed that the 72 and older had 3 cables as opposes to two. Are you talking about the mounting studs on the box where the blower motor goes? I thought the blower motors were the same throughout the years (4 mounting studs)

Well what i had found was that the 73 up blower motors all had the 3 stud mounts , so i bought a box and brought it home and after some looking i drilled out the rivets holding the metal plate on, and put the 4 stud on
and it all looks factory ,

Well what i had found was that the 73 up blower motors all had the 3 stud mounts , so i bought a box and brought it home and after some looking i drilled out the rivets holding the metal plate on, and put the 4 stud on
and it all looks factory ,

Thanks for that. I have a 4 std blower motor that works great and a good heater core. Now I just need to find a 73+ heater box.

-
Back