Heater Control Valve needed

-

petedart

Reaction score
Anybody know where a guy could find an OEM heater control valve for a '73 Dart Sport 340 with A/C? This is the gold plated valve that mounts to the passenger side fender well. It controls flow from the heater hoses to the heater core. I've checked around, and this thing is dang tough to find (even aftermarket versions)!

Thanks in advance for your help.

LOL at "gold plated" . For todays prices it probably should be.
Last I bought came from Autozone. Been a few years back. Wasn't gold plated either.

Redfish:

Hell, at the rate I'm spending money, the entire car should be gold plated!

Anybody know where a guy could find an OEM heater control valve for a '73 Dart Sport 340 with A/C? This is the gold plated valve that mounts to the passenger side fender well. It controls flow from the heater hoses to the heater core. I've checked around, and this thing is dang tough to find (even aftermarket versions)!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Some people call this part a water valve while others call it a heater valve. I've been looking for an OEM valve for over two years. The Chrysler part number for 73 and 74 Dart Sport valves was 3579-173. I do not know of anyone that has a supply of the OEM parts. I have bought several valves looking for that original look. I can get close, but not exact. The ones that I have bought do not have the L-shaped bracket attached. This bracket is needed to mount the two screws to the fender well.

If you have your original valve, the inside flap is probably rusted out. The vacuum advance may work, but without the flap to stop the water, hot water will run continously through the heater core, causing your A/C to work harder to cool the interior. You really need that valve. I have seen people not install the water valve, but that allows hot water to run all the time and the valves purpose is to shut off the hot water flow when your A/C is on.

Looks like you can still get the valve from ACDelco; I find it under P/N 155817 on www.rockauto.com . Picture here:
http://info.rockauto.com/ACDelco/Detail.html?15-5817.jpg As I said, note that the new valve does not include the bracket, which is just a simple strip of sheetmetal.

Let me know if you find an OEM part. I need two valves, and I really don't like the replacement parts I have found.

-
Back