Heater core

-

Ricksdust

70 Duster
Reaction score
I found that my heater core is leaking:-|. What has everyone bought their heater cores? Also how hard is it to change one? I have the manual on it just seeing if anyone has some tricks on making it easy:toothy7:. Thank you Rick

When you get the new core dunk it under water and blow air into one end while holding your thumb over the other and make sure there are no leaks (little air bubbles). You can always add more solder if you need to or if you feel like it is too thin in some places. I added more solder when I replaced the core in a 81 El Camino I used to have.
Other than that it is just as Longgone says in the other post, it's pretty easy.

Thank You Guys........I knew someone did this already. My Duster is parked inside the garage for the winter so its time to crank out the the heater and start working on it:blackeye: I want to rebuld the front end,put a bigger raditor in it, etc. Thank you for the step by step. It will help ALOT. Rick

Rick,
Longgone is very correct on the poor fitting of the auto parts heater cores as I just doing the one for the Mr.Norm's Demon and I bought 3 different China/mexico ones and none fit the correct way.

The fit was very bad where the tubes went thru the heaterbox and also where they lined up for the 4 screws to hold it in place.

I took all them back and went over to the radiator shop and had my old one recored cost was about $20 more the the repop junk.

Just a heads up for you.

Thanks,

-
Back