***Heater Delete for 12pt Cage Questions***

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
Well I am about to tackle the forward part of the cage very soon as the material will be here on Saturday.

I kind of knew the heater box, core and venting system was going to be in the way of the forward bars that go thru the firewall. Maybe even the forward bars that will go thru the dash and to the kick panel area.

Question,

1) Does anyone have pictures of what you did when deleting the heater assembly and the vents?? Do I need to block anything off when this is done?

2) I plan on driving this car alot on the street even though it will have a TT SBM in it. Does someone make a Different heater assembly or can this one be Modified to work?

Any Ideas will be appreciated!!

Let me see if I have a pic that you can get an idea from, if you had to remove the heater box you could always get an aftermarket setup to fit under there, they are kinda small and dont cost an arm and a leg. Not very good pics here of the passenger side but can run the cross bar under the dash and the ones going out the the frame run along the kick panels. This is a 14 point cage, depending on who you talk to it could be more like a 16 point.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=189502&stc=1&d=1289448785
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=189503&stc=1&d=1289448938
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=189504&stc=1&d=1289448932

Attachments

• IMAG0026.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 377
  • pics 141.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 389
  • pics 154.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 377
Might want to google Mojave heater (I think).....seen it used in several off road trucks. Might want to just block off the vents where they go thru the cowl, otherwise it will be like the vents will be open. The fab guy that did my cage was going to just fab up some sheet metal plates to seal the holes. Just found it http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/mojave-heater.html

Let me see if I have a pic that you can get an idea from, if you had to remove the heater box you could always get an aftermarket setup to fit under there, they are kinda small and dont cost an arm and a leg. Not very good pics here of the passenger side but can run the cross bar under the dash and the ones going out the the frame run along the kick panels. This is a 14 point cage, depending on who you talk to it could be more like a 16 point.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=189502&stc=1&d=1289448785
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=189503&stc=1&d=1289448938
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=189504&stc=1&d=1289448932

Do you have any pics where the forward bar that goes thru the firewall?

I will be pulling the front windshield and running the cage thru the dash between the dash pad and the front window so it is going to really screw some stuff up, I am sure of it!

Thanks

Might want to google Mojave heater (I think).....seen it used in several off road trucks. Might want to just block off the vents where they go thru the cowl, otherwise it will be like the vents will be open. The fab guy that did my cage was going to just fab up some sheet metal plates to seal the holes. Just found it http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/mojave-heater.html

Dang that is a sweet piece, It is about a 1/4 the size of the heater assembly under there now.

Thanks for the link Doug!

Dang that is a sweet piece, It is about a 1/4 the size of the heater assembly under there now.

Thanks for the link Doug!
That looks cool Louis..I would get that heater box and locate in in the middle of the dash and do away with the stock heater box and fresh air intake..make you a heater blower delete plate and reuse you stock heater hoses...you do live in California...does it get cold enough there to require a heater?

will try and get some tomorrow, where mine go thru is not the best place, the previous owners did it and they had removed the inner wheel wells.

You can get the dash bar under the dash and still have functioning wipers. My cars front tubes were ran under the inner fender well thru a hole in it tied to the frame. Not the best pictures, sorry.

Attachments

• 29.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 31.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 323
  • 27.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 329
Louis, when I took mine out, it was easy. The only holes you'll need to cover are the 2 where the heater hoses go through the firewall, and the one big one where the blower motor is. If you're going to try to put some other heater in, then it will be different. I just took it out completely because it doesn't get that cold here, and I only drive it once in a while, hopefully be getting it to the track soon.

That looks cool Louis..I would get that heater box and locate in in the middle of the dash and do away with the stock heater box and fresh air intake..make you a heater blower delete plate and reuse you stock heater hoses...you do live in California...does it get cold enough there to require a heater?

Yeah I know but I am trying to get my wife to ride in this one. She likes to be warm so I may even do heated seats or at least one for the passenger!

I run my cars alot more in the winter. There is a reason for that......
Engines love Cool, Crisp clean air! Almost like running on Race Fuel. As long as it is not raining it will be driven all over the place!

A few more pictures.....on both of our cars the dash fits over the bar with no issues.....

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2167.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_2185.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 314
You can get the dash bar under the dash and still have functioning wipers. My cars front tubes were ran under the inner fender well thru a hole in it tied to the frame. Not the best pictures, sorry.

That looks really good! I was planning on doing it the same way as you from the firewall forward but the Turbo's, plumbing etc are in the way. I may tie it onto the side of the frame rail in the fender well instead. Need to ask my buddy about it, he knows the rule book by heart.

Do you have any pictures showing a few under the fender shots?
Going to try and take my bars a little more foward going thru the dash, we will see.

I am going to try and tie the upper shock tower into the forward bars and possibly do a coil over conversion at the same time. I am not stuck on it as of yet though, we will see what happens.

Louis, when I took mine out, it was easy. The only holes you'll need to cover are the 2 where the heater hoses go through the firewall, and the one big one where the blower motor is. If you're going to try to put some other heater in, then it will be different. I just took it out completely because it doesn't get that cold here, and I only drive it once in a while, hopefully be getting it to the track soon.

I figured it was easy to take out. Did you block off the vents that go to the dash area to the exterior also?

The mohave heater from flex a lite will do the trick, and it is compact enough that it will probably go back behind the glove box area.

Several vendors are now making heated seat retrofit kits, for surprisingly little money.
Check Dorman, and Crimestopper.

I figured it was easy to take out. Did you block off the vents that go to the dash area to the exterior also?

I left the driver side vent there to get a little air circulation down low. I didn't block the passenger side yet, but probably will either block them or figure out a way so it can be opened and closed easily.

Cant say I miss my heater any. This is what I did as I was more concerned about being cool in the summer time.

Attachments

• vent box.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 274
I have an orrginal ac car, and want to keep the ac. But have no use for a heater can the heater be removed and still have ac? I don't what to have to mess with an afttermarket ac unit since I currently have all the ac stuff. I'll just have to convert it to run on 134

I have an orrginal ac car, and want to keep the ac. But have no use for a heater can the heater be removed and still have ac? I don't what to have to mess with an afttermarket ac unit since I currently have all the ac stuff. I'll just have to convert it to run on 134

You would possibly need a different set up. The Blower motor will rest in the air with nothing around it. I do know that.

well I'll be building a custom dash, so hopefully I can just leave everything where it is. We will see though. I have the a pillar bars in and they clear just fine. We will see how it goes. I'm not looking for a stock looking car so that is not a big deal to me. I'll post up pics once we get to the dash

-
Back