Heddman headers not fitting on driver side

-

Turk

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my driver side headers on even when I take the steering apart underneath it still will not clear. I have a 72 val with a 360 swap with power steering, the tranny is not in yet so I was thinking that might be part of the problem any input can help.

Have fun putting the transmission in with the headers already on. Think it through

The thing is even if I raised the motor in the rear and tilted it towards the passenger side it still would not clear the first tube kept hitting power steering

You need to research before buying headers. Some fit well, some don't....

Sounds like your headers were meant for a manual steering car.

You need to research before buying headers. Some fit well, some don't....

I did do research and almost every review I found was how easily they installed the clearance was tight on the driver side but most people found the installations to be a small frustration.

Time to get out the BFH and pound on it until it clears. I bought Hooker headers years back and I had to do the same thing for power steering. I later upgraded to Dougs Headers and it made a world of difference. They don't rub on anything, they were very easy to install, and they don't hang low like the cheaper ones.

I did do research and almost every review I found was how easily they installed the clearance was tight on the driver side but most people found the installations to be a small frustration.

Then there's something wrong with the parts or your car...

Time to get the bfh out and make some clearance dents in the tubes.

When I bought my Dart it had a set of Headmans on it already and they were lets call it (clearanced) to fit the power steering. It was more like flattened.
Just recently I replaced them with a set of Hooker's and I can say that the Headmans were harder to get out than the Hookers were to get in.

Ted

i didn't mean to sound like a dick. get the transmission in first , that way the headers are not in the way. after that you will be able to lift the engine and move it around, and , it will be sitting where it is supposed to. you will have to dimple the header where it hits the steering box. remove the oil filter to get the passenger side on and use a short (ph43 or equivalent) or a 90 degree adapter. I have put on a number of these long tube headers with no issues and they work well, but can be challenging for some people. put the drivers side on first that way you have room to push the engine over. the passenger side is a piece of cake.

You need to unbolt motor mount...
Jack engine up with floor Jack and a block of wood under oil pan...
Headers go in from the bottom
Car needs to be up high on Jack stands

Dougs or tti' that is all I will install anymore. Too old to make things fit anymore.

When I did mine I had to remove the steering box out of the car. Remove steering box slide headers up and just tie them up, lift drivers side of motor up and now put the steering box back in. If you are running a large starter you will have to lower the headers onto the steering box then put the starter on the headers and put them in place while someone lifts the headers and starter up as one piece. ( 73 Duster 340 4sp)

I don't remember the exact brand of header I used but were real cheap, and it took all day just to get the dam drivers header in as we tried doing it without removing the steering box. This was about 15 years ago too, and car is now gone.

No need to put trans in to install headers, just don't bolt them on the head until trans is in or they will be in the way. Last set off hookers I put on last year i put them in before the trans and I tied them up out of the way when I put the trans in.

I just replaced hedmans on my 74 with Dougs
I never had a problem with hedmans other than road rash on the 3 tubes that run under the tie rod.
I got Dougs ceramic style when Autozone had them for 20% off
You can buy online , pick up at store
Dougs have ground clearance too
Hardest part was holding header with 1 hand and holding starter with the other.
I did it alone and I'm no spring chicken.
Put a bungee cord on header while you bolt starter back in.
No 90 degree oil filter needed.
I do remember that on my roadrunner and my brothers demon that automatic shifter linkage needed modified.
Good luck

:burnout:

-
Back