hedman long tube headers hit steering gearbox

-

The Furnace

Reaction score
I have a 76 dodge dart sport s/6 conversion with spool mount conversions to 360. My hedman long tube headers are hitting the drivers side steering gear box on the first tube preventing it from going foreward and up by maybe a 3/8 of an inch. also on the stock heads it appears the headder mounts look like they need to be ground down on the top of the mddle two tube because of the way the heads kinda tapper by the valve covers. I think I drilled my motor mount hole a little high for the conversion mount on the drivers side subconsiously not wanting the gearbox to come into play. Anyone else run into this problem. Im about ready to take a sawsall to these things and run my stock manifolds. LOL

Those spool mount conversions may be causing your engine to be to close to the drivers side causing clearance problems. Measure from the center of crank shaft in front to both sides. It should be about
1 1/2" closer to the right side than the drivers side. If you have to, for clearance issues you can move the motor over more. Even 2" is ok. I have mesured several mopars and they can be 3 1/2" closer to the passenger side in the b bodys, trucks, and vans.

I had the same problem in my 74 duster, I ended up getting a v8 spool k member and solved the problem (same headers as you)

I had the same problem in my 74 duster, I ended up getting a v8 spool k member and solved the problem (same headers as you)
Why can't the one tube be modified. We do that all the time with the race cars.

When I bought my Dart Sport it had a set of Headmans on it. It is a small block with the correct K member. No conversion mounts and whoever installed the headers originally flattened that tube with a hammer to get it to fit around the power steering box.
Unfortunately they're still on the car. maybe this winter I'll swap them out for something that fits better.

Ted

-
Back