Has anybody used Hedman shorty headers?
Part #78500

If so do you like them?

Any comments appreciated.

Thank You.

Johnny Dart said:
Anyone?

Yes,No,Maybe?

My husband just installed them on his 67 Cuda a couple of months ago. They were much easier to install than the full length. They do require the mini-starter. Some creative exhaust work had to be done however by the muffler shop to get from where the headers end and where the exisiting exhaust system begins. They sound nice though and look great. I'll take a couple of pictures tonight and post them so you can see.

I'm thinking about putting them in my Dart but since I'm taking the engine out for rebuild, I may stay with long headers. There will be considerably more room to work with the engine out.

Pam

Something to keep in mind. Shorty headers tend to help power above the torque peak where long tube headers help the power below the torque peak. So in general long tube headers are better for a street or street/strip car.

Thanks for the replies.
I have a set of Hookers in the garage.Even though the install may be tough,I am more concerned about the shift linkage & starter.I want to leave the 3 on the tree(sleeper)but read that you have to make some tweaks to the linkage.Dont like the sound of that.Also even with the mini starter,there are more issues.

Also exploring the possibility of the hi-po 340 exh manifolds.

Mopargirl: How do the Hedmans perform?
And please send pics.

I just ordered a complete mandrel bent exhaust system,and will be looking for the best set-up for me.I have a pretty good line on a set of 68-70 340 exh manifolds.That way I would have the reliability of the manifolds + decent performance and be ready for a 340/360.

The car is a 318,but will someday be a 340/360.

I don't know about the hookers but I have Hedman long tube headers in my Barracuda. This was originally a 3 on the tree /6 car. The #2 tube comes very close to the steering column (sweeps back along the head). I had cut the levers off so I do not have any clearance issues but I don't think the column shift mechanism would work without serious surgery on that tube.

Dave,
It seems that every header I have looked at the 3 on the tree would have to be manipulated. :sad1:

I remember your car when it was on .com & .org.

John,
Here are the pics. I sent you a pm about the performance.

Huggers R Side.JPG

Huggers L Side.JPG

Huggers Exhaust Extension.JPG

Very cool !!!!!!!!
Thanks so much for taking the time to post some pics.
decission's,decission's........

Thanks again !!!!!!!

John

Hi all, I'm Mopargirl's husband with the 67 Cuda. I originally tried to install Headman long tube headers but after installing the left side I had to remove the header and beat the 2nd tube with a hammer so it would clear the steering column. (it even says this in the instructions beleive it or not). When I pulled it back out (which is no easy task) that's when I decided shorties were the way to go. The tech at the muffler shop was reluctant to install the connection but did any way. It seems to have worked out pretty well. As far as performance, I don't race the car but is seems to pick up and go better than when I had the old long tube headers in. Of course this is probably because one of the tubes on the drivers side was almost completely closed from hitting something in the road. I didn't do it I bought it that way. The exhaust the muffler shop put in hangs about as low as the long tubes did (maybe a smidge lower) but I had them raise the torsion bars about 3/4 of an inch for better clearance. I hope this helps anyone in need.

Cudasrule (lucky to be Mopargirls husband)

Thanks for the reply.
Right now I have a 318 car that I am building,so it it not a race car.Just looking to improve on the stock exhaust manifolds.

Can you install them from the top of the motor,or do you have to install them from underneath the car?

If underneath,do you have to lift the motor or remove any of the suspension?

Did you origanally have there painted headers?

Thanks again for all the help.

The headers you see in the pictures were black when they arrived in the mail. The color you see is after 2 trips around town. The paint never lasts. As far as installation, they go in from the top and you dodn't have to raise the engine at all.

Cudasrule

cudasrule said:
Hi all, I'm Mopargirl's husband with the 67 Cuda. I originally tried to install Headman long tube headers but after installing the left side I had to remove the header and beat the 2nd tube with a hammer so it would clear the steering column. (it even says this in the instructions beleive it or not). When I pulled it back out (which is no easy task)

Cudasrule (lucky to be Mopargirls husband)

I have headman's in my 68 Barracuda and there was no mention of beating the tubes to fit in the instructions, the tubes clear everything just fine. I have a 4spd and the instructions said to cut the protrusion that serves no function off the from of the z-bar lever but that was all.

FWIW, My car had manual steering. Yesterday I pulled the manual box and installed a power box. There is still plenty of clearance around the steering box.

BTW, looks like the pipes from your shorties hang lower than my long tube headers.

my 67 has a 360 automatic. when i got the long tube header in and lowered the engine back into place the one tube rubbed the steering shaft. the directions said to mark where it hits, remove the header and hit it with a hammer enough to clear. i also have power steering. i don't know if there's a difference between 67 and 68 but this really did happen and it really did say that in the instructions. i'll see if i can locate them in my garage and scan them on a post.

dgc333 said:
I have headman's in my 68 Barracuda and there was no mention of beating the tubes to fit in the instructions, the tubes clear everything just fine. I have a 4spd and the instructions said to cut the protrusion that serves no function off the from of the z-bar lever but that was all.

A clarification on the installation instructions and headers from CudasRule's post. The headers he purchased to replace the old were Flotech's, not Hedman. Yes indeed, the instructions for the Flotech's said to hit the tube with a hammer. (see copy of text below). After the Flotech fiasco, he decided to go with the shorty headers that JohnnyDart was inquiring about. Perhaps the long headers made by Hedman are different than the Flotech design and have a better fit.

THE PERFORMANCE EXHAUST COMPANY™
13100 FLOWTECH I™ - STANDARD FINISH
33100 FLOWTECH II™ - CERAMIC FINISH
APPLICATIONS - DODGE/PLYMOUTH/CHRYSLER W/273-360 CI V-8
INSTALLATION NOTE: On some models with the large power steering box, it may be
necessary to dent tube L-4 if it touches the bolt that mounts the power steering unit to the
chassis. Do so by holding the header in place. Check the clearance and mark the tube
with chalk or a pencil. Remove and dent the tube lightly with a hammer.

That's the closest point any of the tubes come to touching with the Hedmans too, but mine do not touch. I was concerned when I installed the power steering box this weekend if it would touch but I actually have more clearance with the power box.

-
Back