HEI Conversion - Need help! Ballast resistor Content

-

Judge Mills

1971 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
Decided today to do the HEI swap... I know I must have constant 12v going to my new HEI coil... I only have a simple diagram for reference.

PC7000INST.jpg

SO, in order to get my constant 12v, can I ELIMINATE my ballast resistor, hook both connections together, then use that 12v? It should be constant at this point, because of the elimination of the ballast resistor.

I know a few of you have done the HEI Conversion... any help would be appreciated, as I have help here and he is drinking all my beer :D

"SO, in order to get my constant 12v, can I ELIMINATE my ballast resistor, hook both connections together, then use that 12v? It should be constant at this point, because of the elimination of the ballast resistor."

This is what we did on Dad's 69 a few weeks back, same setup. Actually, we ended up putting an inline fuse between the connections as a fail-safe. I can't remember the amperage at the moment. One headsup on the coil install, though. You might have make up some spacers to mount it to the firewall. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Overall, we're pretty pleased with it! Fired right up, and purred like a kitten. We still need to do a little tweaking as the car is a little cold blooded.

"SO, in order to get my constant 12v, can I ELIMINATE my ballast resistor, hook both connections together, then use that 12v? It should be constant at this point, because of the elimination of the ballast resistor."

This is what we did on Dad's 69 a few weeks back, same setup. Actually, we ended up putting an inline fuse between the connections as a fail-safe. I can't remember the amperage at the moment. One headsup on the coil install, though. You might have make up some spacers to mount it to the firewall. I'll get pics tomorrow.

Overall, we're pretty pleased with it! Fired right up, and purred like a kitten. We still need to do a little tweaking as the car is a little cold blooded.

Why do you want spacers on the coil? Do you not want the body of it grounding out? Or because the "+" and "-" connections are so close to the firewall?

Here's some pics! I know things don't look great yet, but we're workin on it.

IMG_0644 (Small).JPG

IMG_0645 (Small).JPG

IMG_0646 (Small).JPG

Ours was the Ebay special as well. Skip White, I believe. Couldn't beat the price, I just hope the longevity is there!

-
Back