Hei conversion

-

green75dart

Reaction score
Hello all, new to Mopars but not new to cars. I've always had Chevrolets but bought this 1975 dart as a project. I got a DUI hei distributor and gm one wire alternator. And a petronix hei power relay kit. I thought it would be easy to convert over but I'm having a hard time locating any hot wires. Is the Mopar ECU box needed(orange box?) I don't have one there at all, just the bulkhead connector. Ballast resistor is also there but no hot wires on either side. I was hoping I could find a schematic for wiring to convert. I've found a lot of diagrams op resistor by pass or just adding in an hei module on a Mopar distributor, but none with pinputs for bypassing the box. Thanks for any help

20240302_145715.jpg

17094138816913092161583729007363.jpg

Is the Mopar ECU box needed(orange box?)
Not with Davis Unified Ignition as now you have a chevy distributor modified to fit a Mopar.
Did you buy the car this way? Did it run ? You are gonna do a bit of investigation on what and what has not been eliminated in the wiring. Can't help you with that. The DUI does not use a ballast just a key power source.

I still have a gm style hei dizzy in my 360. I use both the blue and brown wires from the distribution block cut and soldered together and ran to a bus bar. Then attach items to a spot on there to include the power wire from the HEI. I had an in-line fuse from it to the bus bar. You could throw in a relay but not needed imo. The blue and brown provide crank and run voltages direct from the keyed source. I cut and tossed all the factory ignition wiring from my 73 Dart.

Marion

I still have a gm style hei dizzy in my 360. I use both the blue and brown wires from the distribution block cut and soldered together and ran to a bus bar. Then attach items to a spot on there to include the power wire from the HEI. I had an in-line fuse from it to the bus bar. You could throw in a relay but not needed imo. The blue and brown provide crank and run voltages direct from the keyed source. I cut and tossed all the factory ignition wiring from my 73 Dart.

Marion
Thanks for that info, that's actually my plan from digging around and seeing what a few others did. I wasn't sure on the resistor bypass as both wires showed power during crank. But I'll do an ignition relay for full power to the distributor and splice the two together to the relay. The DUI instructions say to have full power 12volt to their distributors, for I assume the high voltage coil. I can already see a lot of wires I will be able to depin from the firewall connectors and clean things up.

It is a good idea to use a relay for HEI, which is an inductive ign system. More voltage, more spark energy with inductive igns.

I would pick up the 12v from the alt stud or that bat+ terminal, whichever is more convenient. Use a 10 amp inline fuse in this line.

That DUI stuff is one of the biggest wastes of money on the planet. All it is, is just a standard GM HEI distributor dressed up all fancy like to get in your pocketbook. I've had a Skip White big cap HEI distributor in my Ford truck for almost ten years now. $74.99 for the distributor and wires and the wires are JUST NOW getting tired. They're trying to sucker the slant 6 guys in with one, but they ain't getting me.

-
Back