HEI in Mopar ECU casing

-
I will try to take pictures of how I do my mod.

I plan on cutting the ECM's tin case under the OEM looking aluminum heat sink and then using some 1/16 inch solid copper sheet to cut out a mount for the GM HEI module that is slightly larger than the cut out in the tin case. I will use two tapered head 8x32 screws to mount that copper sheet to the back of the OEM heat sink with heat sink jelly and fake Trans cap. Then two of the same screws to mount the HEI module with that jelly to the underside of the module to copper sheet.

This should wick away all the heat into the OEM looking aluminum heat sink.

I will try to take pictures of how I do my mod.

Here is my finished unit. I went with a $10 HEI just to see if this works. I may step up to a better HEI module later. Not counting the Autozone failed ECM, I am into this for less than $15.

Done 1.jpg
Done 2.jpg

Used 4 pieces of 14 gauge wire, 4 crimp spade ends, a smeer of Heat Sink paste, 1 each 1 inch 8X32 screw, a shot of Rustoluim 2X paint and the the HEI module. I will be adding some heat shrink around those brass crimp connectors.

On the fake Transistor cap I had to re-tap the one screw hole for the HEI module's through bolt, the two original screws were metric and I reused only 1. When retapping, only go in far enough for the new screw to be tight. I ran the tap down all the way and had to peen the back side threads a bit

I have my ecu's coming in the mail to do my conversion. I am going to pick up a DUI brand module for track use and a couple misc spares to test logitivity.

The hardest part of this mod is getting that crap potting epoxy out. It is stinky and messy.

Next was getting the solder to stick to the 4 pins. I cleaned them up and slightly roughened them with emory cloth. Then a dab of soldering flux and put a tight hook on your wire and hold it still and heat the pin AND the wire both with the soldering iron and touch the solder to the wire. When the heat melts the solder make sure there is good coverage without over heating the pin. Let it cool without moving that wire.

-
Back