HEI in Mopar

-

erict

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure some folks will have a problem with adding Chevy parts to a mopar, but I've been looking into this....

Has anyone added an HEI ignition module to their stock electronic distributor? There are a few write-ups about this on other sites and it seems like a great idea. These modules are cheap, reliable, and put out great power. It seems like the install is just a matter getting the correct GM harness to plug to the HEI and wire to the distributor. This mod will eliminate the unreliable ballast resister and allow the use of higher power HEI coils for cheap.

Accel HEI modules good to 7000 rpm are about $40. Roughly equivalent to a mopar orange box, which I hear bad things about, and you still have the ballast resister.

Comments?

I did it in my 73 Dart (slant six) and has been running like a champ for 3-4 years now.

A factory HEI module has less rpm capability than a stock mopar ecu when used with non HEI coil. You need to buy a perfromance module to get any advantage over a stock mopar ecu.

Unless you get a coil that is specifically designed to run without a ballast using the HEI module does not elminate the need for the ballast. You have to rememeber that GM designed a system which was comprised of a coil and module, unless you use the GM coil or an aftermarket coil that is designed to operate without a ballast you still need it.

Get the same coil and you can elminate the ballast with the mopar ecu too. Also, the vast majority of canister type coils need the ballast.

HEI is a big upgrade over Mopar electronic ignition when done right. Huge amount of info and how-to (and why-to) is here.

Thanks for the link SlantsixDan, this is a nice write up.

I did plan on swaping in a matching HEI coil. This is a build-up from scratch. I'm trying to build a decent system without spending big bucks on a new aftermarket distributor/controller.

I run the DUI Tri-Power setup which is a basically stock Mopar distributor with a GM style module bolted onto its side. I had to extend the wires and move the module to the firewall for clearance. I run their beastly "Livewires" to stock Autolite platinum plugs now set at .055". The kit also includes an external cannister coil built to handle full alternator voltage. I would like to report huge increases in low end torque from an admittedly worn out 318 shortblock in my 1973 W200 plow truck. I could have set it up redneck style by taking parts off my junkyard Blazer but I wanted to make sure everything would bolt in and start right up so I bought new. Works awesome!

I run both the mopar and the hei.. A flip of the switch and I can go back and forth between the 2... Found a wiring diagram on redneck fabrication website and then installed it on my 65 valiant..

I had previously run a straight hei system, but found it would not start consistently.. Now I start with the Mopar and flip in over to Hei for the hotter spark. Using an MSD BLaster 2 coil.

Works great so far..

DSCN0449.JPG

DSCN0451.JPG

DSCN0450.JPG

I run both the mopar and the hei.. A flip of the switch and I can go back and forth between the 2... Found a wiring diagram on redneck fabrication website and then installed it on my 65 valiant..

I had previously run a straight hei system, but found it would not start consistently.. Now I start with the Mopar and flip in over to Hei for the hotter spark. Using an MSD BLaster 2 coil.

Works great so far..

I must admit, that is a first. Never heard of such a problem, gotta admire your solution.

Nonetheless, hate to admit it, but GM did something right with their HEI ignition. I would not buy into the idea that the stock Mopar box is better. Now I'm going to run and hide cause I'm probably about to get flamed!

:angryfir:

Works great so far..

And you point out the flaw in the system with HEI that sometimes gets overlooked: the module itself. As unreliable as some claim the ballast to be (I've never had a problem with one, guess I've been one of the few) the GM guys will cuss the module. If it's not treated correctly or installed properly it will give you fits.

Seriously, I'm not trying to bad mouth the swap. The HEI does have it's purpose. But since the hot ticket in Ford circles is to set the Duraspark up with the Chrysler ECU, and not the straight up HEI system, it should tell you something about the Chrysler set up.

Yeah, I guess you can make the claim that anything is better than the Duraspark system and we're talking a good ignition system for Chrysler, not Ford, but I say this makes a damned good claim on the Chrysler system itself.

31721.jpg

Yes, this system has the HEI coil. But notice the resistor?

31721.jpg

Works great so far..

I must admit that looks like a pro install but I also have to tell you the reason I love my old Dusters and Dart is because there are only a few wires! LOL

Nice Read on the HEI Dan..........

Having ran quite a few GM's in the past I can attest to the fact I have had way more HEI modules die that Chrysler ballast resistors burn up. In fact I have only ever had one ballast resistor fail and in less than 2 minutes i had a spare out of the tool box and plugged in and was of and running down the road. I have had several HEI modules up and die and even though they aren't hard to change they will take alot more than 2 minutes. Oh and they require tools to change which the ballast doesn't. GM HEI units may put out more spark voltage to fire a wider gapped plug than a Mopar but they sure don't do hold up good to high RPM. Stock GM HEI's are real lucky to fire correctly past 4500 rpm. This is coming from someone that has had many of each (Mopars and GM's). Sure if you pay $40-50 for a high perf module and another $50 for a high perf. coil it'll fire to 7 grand but so will a Mopar ignition if the control box and coil is upgraded. I personally don't see all the hype about the HEI. A simple MSD or Mallory multiple spark box upgrade is far better than what a tricked HEI will do. JMO

-
Back