HEI style distributor cap

-

63dartman

Reaction score
Does anyone make a HEI style cap with male connnectors that will fit a oem style distributor for a small block v-8?

I think he meant HEI style as in with the male connectors for the wires at the distributor. You'll get a more solid/reliable connecton at the distributor. I havent had any problems with it, but it is something that could be improved upon (from stock).

Stock - Female @ dist
dist_stock.jpg

Magnum/ 'HEI Style' - Male @ dist
dist_adapt_72dpi.jpg

And if he did mean HEI ignition, i think i gotta link for that too. Hate to say it but GM did have their ignitions down with HEI, Chrysler wasn't the best and most reliable with their ECUs. 2cents

Yep, I just want the cap since there are more aftermarket wires available with the HEI type connectors, Also a more positive connection.. I don't think I have enough firewall room for the whole HEI kit. I had to "clearance my firewall with the v-8 swap and damn is it close......Thanks Goody, Once again you are a great help!!

Just checked out that link, I believe I am going to call it a swirl type distributor, everyone will say "what the hell is a swirl type distributor? Then I can tell them how the increased height helps with the electrical flux patterns and creates a swirl type flux pattern that builds on itself and creates a super powerful spark!!!

I think he's talking about the company that's making an HEI dist unit for Mopars that has the coil/spark box right on top or the cap. It's basically a smaller, fully contained MSD system that's all in/on the distributor. I don't remember their name but they advertise in the Mopar Mags all the time. You should be able to find it there. If I come up w/ it 1st, I'll post it.

you might mean Davis Unified Ignition (D.U.I.) at

www.performancedistributors.com

I bought one to put on my 318 thats not in the car yet. Took the distributor out of the 273 the other night to see if it would fit and i am very nervous about it, it is BIG. I know that i will have to a bolt that the wiper motor mounts onto, hopefully nothing else will be in the way...

Anybody else have one of these?

68 A said:
you might mean Davis Unified Ignition (D.U.I.) at

www.performancedistributors.com

I bought one to put on my 318 thats not in the car yet. Took the distributor out of the 273 the other night to see if it would fit and i am very nervous about it, it is BIG. I know that i will have to a bolt that the wiper motor mounts onto, hopefully nothing else will be in the way...

Anybody else have one of these?

I don't have one, but D.U.I. sells a distributor with an externally mounted GM module that they recommend for Darts,Demons, Dusters, and pre 1970 Barracudas that cannot use the D.U.I. (HEI type distributor). I assume they're implying that the HEI type won't fit an A body..........at least that's what I conclude.

i see that now with the tri power setup they have. I guess i never read too closely about that one. so if it doesn't fit, they didnt tell me. Some companys will call you and check once you made your order, and the order form does include the make and model.

hmm, looks like i will be calling them tommorow.

I have an HEI style cap on my MSD distrbutor.....I like that collar that lets you put a Magnum dap on the old dist.....that's nice.

reviving an old thread... Same question as OP, does anyone make an HEI style cap with the male connectors on it for an older style dizzy? I looked at RobbMC performance bit it looks like they don't sell the adapter anymore.

Not sure, but it might be possible to use a magnum distributor housing, and put older style guts in it. It might take some light fabrication like spotting and drilling holes, and knowledge of setting phasing adjustment. I just looked at a picture of a magnum distributor housing, they look shorter, so it might not be possible.

I just ordered a set of plug wires to fit the old style cap... (Have a brand new set of Jegs 8.5mm for BB but they are for the HEI style cap) so, I"m good for now... Thanks!

-
Back