HEI vs. Mopar Box

-
Don't bother with either one they're 1970's technology.
go with something thats multi spark. Try one, you won't look back.

don

dusterdon said:
Don't bother with either one they're 1970's technology.
go with something thats multi spark. Try one, you won't look back.

don

Yep. i'd agree. I paid $50 for my used 6A box on my car. Daily driven for 2years that way, never had ANY ignition related issues to this date. (removed ballast as well.) :headbang:

360scamp said:
What puts out a stronger spark, a chebby 4 pin hei unit or one of the mopar boxes?

Neither one of them put out the spark. They are simply an electronic switch that replaces the points. The performance versions of these modules extend rpm range the ignition system will work to.

I agree with the above posts.....get a MSD 6AL box, MSD billet dist and never look back. I love that set-up and she cranks for a second and fires right up. Not one lick of problems in 2 years.

I got tired of the stock mopar underhood electrics about 5 years ago so I have been running a chebby one wire alt., blaster 2, and a chebby 4 pin hei unit. I haven't had any problems at all. It runs great Im just getting that itch to change things again. I think that I will do the MSD swap as soon as I get the extra funds and find a good deal on the dist. and box.

Another nice benifit of the MSD box is the built in rev-limiter.

I use the Mopar gold box on my drag car and it works great. The multiple spark only works at slower engine speeds that why I don't use one for racing. But the multiple spark works great for a dual purpose car because of the amount of time a street/strip car spends idling, and slow cruise speeds, etc. I tested a buddies MSD setup on my drag car and had no difference in performance, car ran identical numbers. So depending on what your purpose is of your car the Mopar setup is just as good as the MSD setup.

I agree with the high RPM performance issue but my car starts so much better with the MSD. It idles cleaner also but that is because of the multi-spark like you said. I also think the MSD is a cleaner and easier system than the MP stuff and that is probably because my wiring was all hacked up when I got my car.

360scamp said:
I got tired of the stock mopar underhood electrics about 5 years ago so I have been running a chebby one wire alt., blaster 2, and a chebby 4 pin hei unit. I haven't had any problems at all. It runs great Im just getting that itch to change things again. I think that I will do the MSD swap as soon as I get the extra funds and find a good deal on the dist. and box.

If you like the idea of reducing the wiring under the hood why not look at one of the ready to run distributors from MSD, Accel or Mallory. The idgnition box is inside the distributor so there is just three wires to hook up. One for switched power to turn the distrubutor on and off, one for ground and one for the negative side of the coil. Plus these distributors are all adjustable for amount and rate of advance and can be had with or without vacuum advance.

My son brought home from work one of the new Mopar Performance billet distributors. It's a Mallory made unit that still uses the stock mopar type pick-up, cap and rotor but has the Mallory adjustable advance mechanisom and the nice bearings on the shaft. I am triggering a MSD 6A with it.

MSD 7al box with the 7 series only coils are even better than the 6 boxs!! With a good cap and rotor and spark plug wires it run fine all day everyday on the street and be strip ready all the time. I loved my MSD 6 box untill I got a 7al box and its not that much more $. I only changed because my 6 box had no rev limter and was 8 years old. Called MSD tech and they said the MSD 6 should be good enough but if you want the 7 series get the 7al and with the right coil it be fine for everyday street use. I would not get a 6 box again now. Before with my Holley hp 750 DP carb if I punch it very fast from a dead stop it sometimes not feel very crisp for the first few seconds so I was slowly flooring it--like in 1 or 2 full seconds, go half way then all the way. Now I can punch it fast and it sounds very crisp all the time. I was worry that I was wasting money but I am glad I got it. Just thought I let everybody know what happen to me.

-
Back