Hello from Germany

-
Mario, I used to race at a little US Airbase at Hanau, not far from Frankfurt, with the US servicemen and some of the locals also raced there. That was from 1971 to 1975. There was another US Airbase we used to race at, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name, although I still have trophys somewhere around the house from those days. Some great memories of Germany.

@ OldVart

Thats great.
I think you mean the racetrack at Hanau Erlensee.
With which car did you race in this time?
Do you have some pictures of this time.
We have in Germany an dragrace historic website.
Here is the link.

http://www.dragracinghistory.de/index.html

Klick on "Fotogallerie" there are a many pictures from Erlensee.
Perhaps you find your old racecar.
Thats would be great. :)

Mario, that's the one. Over the 4 1/2 years I spent in Germany, I raced a 68 Mustang 302 Fastback, a 70 Challenger 383 R/T 4-speed, a 67 Camaro 327, a 1970 Duster 340 3-speed, and a 74 Camaro 350 Z/28 with a 4-speed. I have a lot of 35mm slides still packed away in boxes, and one of these days I should get them out and go through them to see what I still have. One of the locals used to race an OLD (28?) Fiat with a 427 Chevy that held the track record there for quite a while. I'll have a look at the site you posted, it may bring back some memories. :)

Hello...
I think you mean with the Fiat "Willi Hestermann" with the Maffia Mouse.
It`s an Fiat Topolinio.

WOW, Mario, did that ever bring back some memories!! Yup, Wild Willi and the Mafia Mouse, Mike Barnett and the 57 Chevy, and in one of the photos a nice Sublime Green Demon running against an orange Superbee. That green machine was driven by Cpl Bob Swiggart, 4th Service Batalion, Canadian Army stationed in Lahr / Schwartzwald. Him and I ran together with the US soldier boys every weekend we weren't working during the summer. We'd usually run one weekend at Hanau and the next weekend at Sembach with SATA (Sembach Auto Timing Association), just outside Kaiserslautern. I thought all the German beer I drank in those days had probably killed any memory cell I had, but I guess not. :) Thanks for the great memories Mario from the Crazy Canuck!!

@ OldVart

Mike Barnett is our technical kommisar today.

It would be greatfull when you find some Pics of this time.
You mean this pic. :thumbup:

Yes, that's Bob. That was the only Sublime Green A Body I ever saw at either Hanau or Sembach. Or maybe even in all of West Germany. :) I recogonize the Bee but I don't recall who drove it.

Welcome aboard, you'll love the site and the resources available from it!!! Lived in Bamberg '90-93, miss the food and scenery the most!

Welcome and thanks for the link. Sure brings back sweet memories of those old race cars , the Stripteaser Mini, Little Blue Swede camaro , :headbang:

swedefish said:
Welcome and thanks for the link. Sure brings back sweet memories of those old race cars , the Stripteaser Mini, Little Blue Swede camaro , :headbang:

swedefish, you sure hit in on the head with that statement! :headbang: I quit telling people I used to drag race in Germany with American built cars because they'd look at me like I'd just told the biggest whopper of the century. I haven't even look at my photos of those days in over 30 years so it was quite a trip down memory lane looking at that website. :salute:

I have learn more about Sid since you have made it here v8superstocker. :thumrigh:
Thank's and Glad you found this great site.

Injoy :coffee2:

Had to look in my photoalbum for some old race pics.
Thought I would share them with you.
The first pic is Dennis Priddle
Second Clive Skilton. Who I believe moved to the States and became a professional dragracer.
Third is an odd funnycar. Roland Pratt with a car that had the engine behind the driver.
The last pic is from we when had the honour to have Don Garlits visting us at our international event, boy was that a thrill.

Kopia av IMG.jpg

Kopia av IMG_0002.jpg

Kopia av IMG_0001.jpg

Kopia av IMG_0010.jpg

Kopia av IMG_0007.jpg

Kopia av IMG_0006.jpg

Kopia av IMG_0011.jpg

Kopia av IMG_0008.jpg

Kopia av IMG_0011.jpg

swedefish
Where is the location?
I think on the 3. pic the right car is an old german Opel Manta A.

All of the pics with funny cars are from Mantorp Park raceway in the summer of -75.
Yes it`s Tage Hammermans Opel Manta funny car the first version, he also built a second version on the generation II Opel Manta.
With rather short wheelbase these was fun to watch racing. :thumbup:

Big 'Daddy visit you in Mantorp?
That`s wonderful.
In summer of 75 i was 1 and a half years old. :smile:

OldVart said:
Oops!! I was a LOT older than that!! :angel9:
Hay I mowed big daddy Don's yard in Sefener Fla,I meat his wife and family
in 1970 and did yard work for him 3 year's during strawberry season each year.I went to Memphis motor speed way 2 year ago and sat in his trailer and he remembered me well,He cut his thumb pretty bad that week end and his hearing is just about gone. A very nice man, all my friends seen me walking with him and a couple of his crew member's,They had a fit when I came out of the trailer.He sure put me on the conversation list around home .
I have told some people about this before,But I figure they thought the beer was talking.
v8superstocker,I have injoyed your's and Sid
walk though memory lane. :thumbup:

@OldVart
Hello...
Can you remember a green Chevy Nova with the name "the green Mouse"? The car was driven by Nedra&Paul Creamer. The pair was from 67-73 in Germany. They still search contact with persons at that time likewise in Germany were and would be glad to get this.

Welcome to the site, your project looks like it is a solid start good luck on your restoration! Wish my floor pans looked that good.

this gettin' old is great!!!
And may I say you are doing a gracefully job at it Sid :butthead: :toothy7:

-
Back