Hello from ia

-

340-scamp

Reaction score
long time listener first time caller, recently acquired a 73 plymouth scamp from my dad, it was a nice build when it was done around 99. its got a 340 with a 508 purple cam, j heads with some porting backed by a 727 rvb with 3k stall, and a 8 3/4 with 3.91s out back. i got it from him with some top end noise tore it down and found a lifter and cam lobe just starting to go. im thinking of taking the 340 out and swapping it out with a 5.9 magnum and hoping to get about the same performance out of it. anyway thats why im joining and hoping for some tips along the way

IMG_1513.jpg

long time listener first time caller, recently acquired a 73 plymouth scamp from my dad, it was a nice build when it was done around 99. its got a 340 with a 508 purple cam, j heads with some porting backed by a 727 rvb with 3k stall, and a 8 3/4 with 3.91s out back. i got it from him with some top end noise tore it down and found a lifter and cam lobe just starting to go. im thinking of taking the 340 out and swapping it out with a 5.9 magnum and hoping to get about the same performance out of it. anyway thats why im joining and hoping for some tips along the way

View attachment 1716187331
Welcome!! Nice Car !!! I like the 5.9 magnums!

Welcome. The 5.9 magnum is probably the most efficient swap. That car is a candidate, in my opinion, for a Gen III hemi? More complex, thus expensive. But it's what's trending in 2020's.

That little Scamp would rip!

Last edited:
Welcome. The 5.9 magnum is probably the most efficient swap. That car is a candidate, in my opinion, for a Gen III hemi? More complex, thus expensive. But it's what's tending in 2020's.

That little Scamp would rip!
id love to swap the hemi just dont have the time or money, trying to get car up and running before it just sits in the garage for 10 yrs

Welcome! Also from Iowa. NW corner. Go to the Magnum Swap section and find all tbe info you'll need. Good luck with the car!!

Welcome to FABO from down Georgia way.

I'm also a fan of the 5.9. I kept my LA front end v-belt to keep it looking old school.

Nice scamp. I say put a new cam and lifters and keep the 340.
id love to do that, but with all the issues with flat tappet cams and lifters it has me nervous and wanting to go roller

id love to do that, but with all the issues with flat tappet cams and lifters it has me nervous and wanting to go roller
Welcome from Kansas.
If you WANT to go with a roller cam, go for it. However, I believe your fear of problems with Flat tappet cams are not totally founded. Most, an fact all, problems I have seen with flat tappet cams has been operator error. I have rebuilt ant least 10-12 engines, all with flat tappet cams. I have never had a problem. Over the years of the 273, 340, 440 and 383 muscle engines (lets say 66-73), Chrysler made millions of engines with flat tappet cams. I doubt there were too many problems that were cam related. I am partial to the Comp Cams XE cams. They have steeper ramps than most flat tappet cams, and give excellent power. I have the 268XE in my 340. When you install a flat tappet cam use lots of GOOD lube. I only use Royal Purple assembly lube. Plus, run a good quality break in oil. Plus, don't let the engine idle for the first 20 minutes of operation.

Welcome from Kansas.
If you WANT to go with a roller cam, go for it. However, I believe your fear of problems with Flat tappet cams are not totally founded. Most, an fact all, problems I have seen with flat tappet cams has been operator error. I have rebuilt ant least 10-12 engines, all with flat tappet cams. I have never had a problem. Over the years of the 273, 340, 440 and 383 muscle engines (lets say 66-73), Chrysler made millions of engines with flat tappet cams. I doubt there were too many problems that were cam related. I am partial to the Comp Cams XE cams. They have steeper ramps than most flat tappet cams, and give excellent power. I have the 268XE in my 340. When you install a flat tappet cam use lots of GOOD lube. I only use Royal Purple assembly lube. Plus, run a good quality break in oil. Plus, don't let the engine idle for the first 20 minutes of operation.
when was the last time you rebuilt an engine? not trying to be an ***, but I've seen countless videos all over the internet with cams going out on break in and not just your backyard builder actual engine builders. yeah ik that people that don't have issues don't talk about it as much as the people with. but it still worry's me.

when was the last time you rebuilt an engine? not trying to be an ***, but I've seen countless videos all over the internet with cams going out on break in and not just your backyard builder actual engine builders. yeah ik that people that don't have issues don't talk about it as much as the people with. but it still worry's me.
No problem. I do not think you are at all being an ***. The last engine I did was a small block chevy about a year ago with a friend. It runs great. Those old SBCs practically fall together by themselves. I hope I did not come off as an ***. I was just trying to show you that there are millions of engines out there with flat tappets that did not experience problems on initial startup. I use a liberal amount of Royal Purple assembly lube on everything when I assemble a motor. Now there may be something to be said for camshaft quality not being what it used to be. That is why I stick with Comp. I have never had a problem with them. There is no question that rollers are better.

Welcome! Nice baseline!
Now for your question. If it was me I would one of these things.
Keep the 340, build it up and run it!
Or keep the 340 by storing it and find a 89-92 LA roller or Magnum 5.9 & build it up nicely as a daily. Then slowly building up the 340.
- 340's are gold nowadays. 5.2 & 5.9 Magnums are still somewhat plentiful and have a good deal of aftermarket support.
Or keep the 340 and if goes your fancy get a Gen 3 Hemi and do a swap, not the easiest or the prettiest but can be done if you really, really want a modern powerplant. (some members here have done it, look 'em up), not my cup of tea but I've seen some done pretty nicely.
Now this is a "if this was me" scenario, but you'll notice a theme here of 'keep the 340' :thumbsup:.

Welcome! Nice baseline!
Now for your question. If it was me I would one of these things.
Keep the 340, build it up and run it!
Or keep the 340 by storing it and find a 89-92 LA roller or Magnum 5.9 & build it up nicely as a daily. Then slowly building up the 340.
- 340's are gold nowadays. 5.2 & 5.9 Magnums are still somewhat plentiful and have a good deal of aftermarket support.
Or keep the 340 and if goes your fancy get a Gen 3 Hemi and do a swap, not the easiest or the prettiest but can be done if you really, really want a modern powerplant. (some members here have done it, look 'em up), not my cup of tea but I've seen some done pretty nicely.
Now this is a "if this was me" scenario, but you'll notice a theme here of 'keep the 340' :thumbsup:.
the 340 is getting kept and redone at some point ik the value on that engine keeps going up. but for now I wanna build up a 5.9 with a nasty cam and some head work, possibly a stroker ;)

the 340 is getting kept and redone at some point ik the value on that engine keeps going up. but for now I wanna build up a 5.9 with a nasty cam and some head work, possibly a stroker ;)

Sounds like a plan, that's kind of what I'm doing right now. For now I'm running a 1990 Rollercammed LA 360 (1989-1992 LA 360's were factory rollercammed) stock bore with about 10:1 compression with aluminum heads.
I am currently, slowly assembling a 408 stroker based on a 2000's 5.9 magnum.

-
Back