Hello from South Africa. New Member

-

SA De Soto

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
From Sunny South Africa, found this side witha bit of luck. Now a new member. I own a 56 de Soto Diplomat, well, have owned it for more tha 20 years now, and have recently redone the entire car. Customised it some but came out pretty good. It is based on the Plymouth A body and was assembled in Canada for export only.
Some pics are attached, enjoy.

Attachments

• DSC016961.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC016911.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_1998.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 100_2008.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_2000.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_1996.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_1995.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 112
wow beautiful car - I have a couple 56 plymouths ( usa versions of that car ) noce work!

Welcome aboard this great site, Very nize build :cheers: Very nize =P~

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the good response so far. The 3rd light on the roof, well it was an idea more than 22 years ago when we first built the car up. I recall seeing a 50's movie with a custom 58 Chevy Impala with a rd brake light in its roof. Well, it looked pretty cool at the time and when we did the mod it took quite a lot of people by surprise. I left it in for the second rebuild now and must admit, the response from the SA enthusiasts was kind of good. There is quite a huge move in SA to old school customising with some radical old school stuff and some old school blended into newer modern looks as well. I tried the latter by smoothing off the bodywork as well, no badges etc. I used the 56 Chevy 2 door trim and with a bit elbow grease, precision cutting and joining and soldering the trim ends, the set worked nicely.

Welcome to FABO to you and your beautiful car!! I would be very proud of that car too, it's stunning!!! Nice to have you with us, Geof

Great car. A little info on it's origin. In the early days of automobiles, most American Auto companies set up plants in Canada as a way of avoiding tariffs. Tariffs were high, but cars assembled in Canada, could go duty free to the rest of The British Commonwealth. As not every car was made here, Chrysler, in this instance, did some "badge" engineering,in order to sell a more prestigious nameplate.

-
Back