Hello from sunny Florida!

-

hotrodscamp

Reaction score
Hello fellow Mopar enthusiasts! I'm Mike and I live just north of Orlando, Florida. I have a '74 Scamp with a 318.

74scamp.jpg

I've just resurrected the Scamp from sitting about 4 1/2 years, and I've got lots of work to do! I let the car sit when I had to leave town for a business opportunity. I came back after 6 months and the car had developed some "issues". I just didn't run well and it shook a LOT. I didn't have time or money to get it going again, so for the next few months all I did was start it every couple of weeks. One day I went to start it and smoke poured from under the dash!!! I was so distraught I couldn't even look to see what damage had been done. I didn't look back for another 2 1/2 years.

Last year I thought I was ready to get into it and fix it, but it was still too soon. I took apart the dash to see that the "fire" had been at the rear of the ammeter. I bought an NOS ammeter on eBay and started reconditioning the instrument cluster. I bought a few parts I knew I needed as well, fuel tank and sending unit and leaf springs. I lost my steam for the project quickly.

Last month I decided that the mourning period is definitely over and I want my car back!!! I repaired and replace all the damaged wiring I could find, put in a new battery and things started working again :) I trailered it to a local shop and had all the fluids flushed and re-filled and had the new fuel tank and sender installed. That put the car in running condition!

My mechanic said the carb was shot, probably beyond a rebuild. I brought the car home and did a rebuild on the carb and I think he was right :( So I ordered a carb and a few more parts. The carb came in this past Saturday so I put it on and things are looking up!

The car was still having an electrical problem, one that it's had since I bought the car, a probably the cause of the fire. Basically, all lights and electrical devices flickering and "pulsating" at any RPM. That's what brought me to FABO. The first advice I could find here was that it may be a grounding problem. I cleaned, sanded, greased and reconnected every ground I could identify on the car. The flickering diminished, but the pulsating was as strong as ever. I read a thread about bypassing the ammeter, so I did that. No improvement. I replaced the alternator and voltage regulator, no improvement. I was at my wit's end!!!

I came back to FABO and read a thread about the voltage sensing wire to the voltage regulator. I bought the triangular-shaped voltage regulator connector from NAPA and wired it directly to battery positive and to the alternator field connector. The pulsating is GONE!!! I know this means that whatever was pulsating in the electrical system is still there, but with this bypass it has no effect. I would still like very much to find the culprit! But I owe this fix to FABO and I joined today as a Gold Member in appreciation! Thank you SOOOO MUCH!!!!

Today it went back to the shop for the leaf springs, new shocks and some tuning. I should have it back in a few days.

The next project will be wheels and tires. Of course, the tires are shot from sitting all those years! It has 14" rallye wheels with 215/70R14 BFG Radial T/A's. When the car was last on the road I was chasing a shake in the suspension. Everything I could think of replacing has been replaced, from the steering gear box to all the bushings, etc. Someone suggested that it may have a wheel out of round. I'm going to purchase a new set of wheels just to rule that out. The wheels, trim rings and center caps are all pretty haggard looking anyway.

I guess if I keep going I'm going to end up writing a book in here so I'll take my long-winded butt over to the wheels/tires forum and start asking questions!

Glad to be here!

Mike

74scamp-2.jpg

Welcome aboard! Glad you had a good experience here. A lot of helpful members with a lot of knowledge. Enjoy the site.

I love florida.....welcome and pipe some of that sun up here......Nice ride aswell.....Is that the stock color...looks nice

I love florida.....welcome and pipe some of that sun up here......Nice ride aswell.....Is that the stock color...looks nice

Thanks! It's the original color, EB5 Lucerne Blue Metallic. I had it painted about 6 years ago. We blasted the whole car to bare metal, replaced a fender with an NOS one and replaced any rusted metal. After being out in the sun for all this time, it's ready for a refresh. I'm hoping to get into the body shop in the fall.

And thanks to everyone for the welcomes!!!

Welcome, I'm about 60 miles from you in Plant City Fl. We need to meet some time for coffee and a BS session. I'm partial to Scamps. I had a 71 BB drag car, ran 6.40'S 1/8. I had the most fun of any race car I have owned. Low Low maintenance.

-
Back