Hello, I'm seeking input for 68' Notchback restoration

-

Mark Nall

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Mark. I have a really great 1968 Barracuda that I am going to give a full restoration. As much as I would enjoy the process, myself, I am not capable of handling such a task. I have found some options, but I wanted to seek the input of the many well-rounded enthusiasts, here at A Bodies. I certainly wouldn't say that cost is not an issue, but I expect this to be a lengthy and costly endeavor to get this car to where I want it to be. I really don't mind if it takes 5 years because that would allow me the time to come up with the money over time.

The car's odometer was set at 50k (speedometer does not work) and does not have the original 318, so I am looking to make an upgrade to 383 (or other thoughts?) it does have two aftermarket rear quarters (originals are probably salvageable).. Interior is nearly perfect! Love the big black bench seat Certainly has some rust, but not a rust bucket. Like anyone, I would like to have the original motor, but it is long lost. I am wanting to keep the car as original 'looking' as I can trying to accommodate a larger engine and necessary adjustments.

I live in Iowa and am fine with shipping the car. This process will start sometime within this year, so I am looking forward to reading your input on people/places that would give my car the attention it deserves. Thank You!

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG

Welcome to FABO! Other than the aforementioned rust on the Quarters, the rest looks pretty darn nice inside and out, I'll bet it will clean up vey nicely.

It looks pretty unmolested. Work on the body for sure but a great start!

Hello, my name is Mark. I have a really great 1968 Barracuda that I am going to give a full restoration. As much as I would enjoy the process, myself, I am not capable of handling such a task. I have found some options, but I wanted to seek the input of the many well-rounded enthusiasts, here at A Bodies. I certainly wouldn't say that cost is not an issue, but I expect this to be a lengthy and costly endeavor to get this car to where I want it to be. I really don't mind if it takes 5 years because that would allow me the time to come up with the money over time.

The car's odometer was set at 50k (speedometer does not work) and does not have the original 318, so I am looking to make an upgrade to 383 (or other thoughts?) it does have two aftermarket rear quarters (originals are probably salvageable).. Interior is nearly perfect! Love the big black bench seat Certainly has some rust, but not a rust bucket. Like anyone, I would like to have the original motor, but it is long lost. I am wanting to keep the car as original 'looking' as I can trying to accommodate a larger engine and necessary adjustments.

I live in Iowa and am fine with shipping the car. This process will start sometime within this year, so I am looking forward to reading your input on people/places that would give my car the attention it deserves. Thank You!

View attachment 1715189715

View attachment 1715189716

View attachment 1715189717

View attachment 1715189720

View attachment 1715189721

View attachment 1715189722

View attachment 1715189723

Welcome to FABO, Mark. I have a 68 fastback, 340 S car. I understand about liking a 383. They are a tight fit though, thus making it a little harder working in the engine bay. Also you will need to change out the torsion bars if you go with the 383 and quite probably need to change the "K" frame as well. My thoughts are to put a stroked 360 (or 340) in the car. It will handle better with the small block and you can make some really good power these days from the stroked small blocks.

Welcome from a fellow fish owner. Nice solid start there.
As mentioned previously you could still go with a potent small block and keep the good handling.
Good luck, have fun!

Welcome to FABO! Other than the aforementioned rust on the Quarters, the rest looks pretty darn nice inside and out, I'll bet it will clean up vey nicely.
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this process and gathering some well needed input along the way. I'm hoping to have it done by 2022!

Welcome to FABO, Mark. I have a 68 fastback, 340 S car. I understand about liking a 383. They are a tight fit though, thus making it a little harder working in the engine bay. Also you will need to change out the torsion bars if you go with the 383 and quite probably need to change the "K" frame as well. My thoughts are to put a stroked 360 (or 340) in the car. It will handle better with the small block and you can make some really good power these days from the stroked small blocks.
This is exactly the type of advice that I am seeking here. Thank you. I have a friend with a 68' 383/727, sitting in a shop, so thought to be a good fit. I would still like to explore that option, but if it gets to be too out of control$, I'm sure your suggestion would work nicely. 'preciate the help

Welcome from a fellow fish owner. Nice solid start there.
As mentioned previously you could still go with a potent small block and keep the good handling.
Good luck, have fun!
Thanx, speaking of clubs...happy to learn of any and all.

nice. if i ever stop buying darts i'm getting one of these :thumbsup:

I had a 67 cuda 383 car, the previous owner added an oversize front sway bar, it handled great. Yes BB will be tight, but o can cut hole in inside fender to get to the pesky plug.
Yes looks like real nice project. Body? Find a good shp that does restortions, but ins. work, and have a time table agreed upon and SIGNED contract.

-
Back