Helmet question

-

71blueduster

Reaction score
Looking for an affordable race helmet and came accross this one.

http://www.soloracer.com/pyroopenfacesa.html

Just wondering if they are any good. Or if someone else has an alternative that's not too expensive. I'm going to take my car to the track in about a month and I thought I should get a helmet in case I break into the 13's. Hopefully I'll have no trouble getting there.

stroker416 said:
I think G-force makes a full face for about the same at summit

They do, but for $150 its only M2005 rated and I people have said not to get a M2005 helmet, so I'm looking for a SA2005 so its not motorcycle rated and will last a while.

I believe there is no difference in the SA05 helmets, and the M05 helmets as far as the amount of time they are still legal to run. They are both good until 2017 with the NHRA tracks. The only difference I thought they had were the SA had flame retardant liners. I pulled this from the website you linked to this thread.

What are the key differences between SA and M Rated Helmets:

SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets aren't street legal).

When I get a helmet I am going to buy a M05 rated one. I don't think you need the extra protection for a 12 or 13 second car. Now if I had a 9 or 10 second car, then I would pop the extra bucks for the SA05 rated helmet for the extra safety.

Dan

So It would be ok if I got a M2005 rated helmet instead of an SA2005 helmet? I saw a thread somewhere else where people were saying not to get an M2005.

Yes a M05 rated helmet is good until 2017. M-rated helmets don't have the fire resistant liner like the SA-rated helmets. SA helmets are also a little safer then the M-rated helmets, but for the times you are talking about running the M05 helmet will be perfect. As long as the helmet you buy has a snell rating you are good to go, some motorcycle helmets just have a DOT rating, NHRA does not recognize that rating, it must have a snell rating (snell ratings are the M05, SA05, M00, etc). So any helmet that has a SA05 or M05 rating is good until 2017, any helmet that is rated SA00 or M00 is good until 2012. Hope this helps.

Dan

-
Back