Help 2001 Dakota

-

Milduster

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a 2001 Dakota R/T. I have owned it since new! I love this truck and still drive it everyday. I have 2 problems I need help with. I have an A/C problem. I have no A/C.I have replaced the canister/and little filter in the line/a/c pump itself/ we jumped the pump directly to battery and charged the system correctly so it has correct pressure so it is not a high low problem. I replaced the relay and jumped from pin 30-87 and had power. I followed everything to the tee. Here is the issue, no power to the high/low switch on the canister. I have already switched the blower motor and resiter and that works perfect. Just no a/c. And yes all fuses have been removed and are good. Any ideas.

Problem#2 The + battery terminal corrodes really fast. I clean it and 2 weeks later it is green and nasty. Please help.

1st thought would be the pressure transducer is bad.
Used to replace those quite a bit back in the day.
What is happening is the pressure transducer is sending a signal to the PCM that the pressure is either to high or to low, the PCM in turn is disengaging the clutch by way of the hi/lo pressure switch. the P/N is 5072138AA and they're not cheap. As I recall, you may also have to buy a wiring harness also. They changed the connector from round to square or vice/versa. That should resolve your issue.
As for problem #2 without a meter, I'm guessing, but I'd say you have a draw.
1st thing I'd do is clean the battery top with baking soda, get all the dirt off the battery. After that, it's a game of follow the current.

I am willing to pay the money, just looked it up. My issue is no power to it initially. Is that the harness you are talking about being bad.

The harness is used just because of a redesign issue.
The pressure transducer is separate from the Hi/Lo cut off switch. The Hi/Lo switch is on the filter drier. the transducer is in the line. you are going to need a tester that can read in mil-volts. A DRBIII or a really good diagnostic scanner would be useful.
However, you could have a PCM simply not not supplying current. That could be a bad PCM. But, I've sold 54 transducers (that P/N) under warranty according to my history. The system doesn't track customer pay.

The battery in my 2006 Dakota got really corroded really fast even after a cleaning. I finally saw a crack in the casing and think that may have been causing the corrosion. The corrosion was so bad that I basically had to break the terminal to separate it from the cable (not sure if the 2001s are the same way, but my battery cable has a bolt that connects to the terminal thing that you put on the battery. It is a really neat idea, I think, so that you only have to replace one part and not the whole cable). Turns out that dodge doesn't sell the end pieces to the battery cable, so I bought a generic piece that was a little big and clamped it down really good.

-
Back