HELP 727 trans problem

-

rj72cda

Reaction score
this is the 727 in my lil red express but our members here are way better than any where else so i ll ask the question.
I needed a new trans gasket a month ago so i got one and filter while i was there. Trans has 40k miles and never been touched so i assumed i should go ahead and adjust the bands. followed the process "tightened adjuster down to 72 inch Lb then backed off 2 full turns. for both the 1-2 and R-3 adjustments. put the new filter in new gasket sealed the pan on and filled with fluid. no major issue. until i start to pull the truck out and it acts as if my parking brake is LOCKED down. i try forward gears same deal engine revs to 3500 rpm to even get moving and then it still feels like the brakes are holding. I checked all 4 corners for heat and even pushed the truck in Neutral to double check. i have since repeated the process double checking to make sure i did not over tighten when setting the lock nuts
I NEED HELP guys

yea i even went so far as to finger tighten the last time to make sure i was not just crazy tight.

yea i even went so far as to finger tighten the last time to make sure i was not just crazy tight.
Tough one man, Maybe low on fluid in Converter? Sounds like you know what you're doing but I gotta ask if you ran it through all the gears, In & out of park & neutral a bunch of times?

I asked a guy that but i cant see how it would have gotten out since i didnt pull the trans out of the truck

I would pull the pan and make sure the rear servo is not cocked in the bore. Sometimes this would happen after a rebuild and we would smack it back in place with a hammer and large screwdriver. If this is what happened then tighten up on the rear band about one turn to keep it from happening again.The piston is traveling too far. Also recheck the front band and make sure it isn't too tight locking the direct drum on and causing your tie-up.

I asked a guy that but i cant see how it would have gotten out since i didnt pull the trans out of the truck
Any Idea how much fluid came out? I seem to remember about 7 Qts should come out and same amount back in. Just a guess Until someone else chimes in. There's some Transmission geniuses on here.:prayer:

id guess right at a gallon. heck there is no real way to check that after the fact because the stick reads full, CRAP this truck has been a major pain. anyone that says low mileage is good has not run into the nit picky crap i have on this truck

1. Recheck the band adjustments.
2. Pull the pan and see whats up.

The band strut may have dropped out allowing the band to turn and bind up between the drum and the case.

Are you checking the fluid in neutral? If your checking it in park it'll read full when it's not cause they don't pump fluid in park. BTW: is it a stock torque converter? If not what is it? I'm asking that because you said it revs to 3500 before the truck moves. The only way it'd do that is

1. you have a high stall converter or

2. it's not pumping fluid.

..........i have seen this happen a few times, cant explain it, but pull out the filter to make sure its installed right............kim........

I think fishy is right,recheck the fluid in neutral.Cycle it through the gears a few times then recheck the fluid,doing this a few times is a good idea.
If you tightened the rear band to much it will not make a difference on the trans mission pulling off in drive,the rear band will hold if you pulled off in manual low.
Now if it fells like the the brakes are on when you are in second then the band is dragging and needs to be looked at.

I think you are dealing with a drain back issue and the fluid is not full.

the crappy thing is i sold my 1st lil red because when i got it the trans was like this.

the crappy thing is i sold my 1st lil red because when i got it the trans was like this.
It'll end up something simple. Just a Pain in the butt to find. That's why I started measuring what came out of the Tranny when doing services. If it was right on full and 7-8 Qts came out then I put back the exact same amount. Sometimes it was a while before it would full circulate thru the system and "Take" the full amount but I knew it needed it all. I really sounds like you didn't get it full all the way.

Don't forget he said this.
It's binding.

"until i start to pull the truck out and it acts as if my parking brake is LOCKED down. i try forward gears same deal engine revs to 3500 rpm to even get moving and then it still feels like the brakes are holding."

Are you checking the fluid in neutral? If your checking it in park it'll read full when it's not cause they don't pump fluid in park. BTW: is it a stock torque converter? If not what is it? I'm asking that because you said it revs to 3500 before the truck moves. The only way it'd do that is

1. you have a high stall converter or

2. it's not pumping fluid.

Any Idea how much fluid came out? I seem to remember about 7 Qts should come out and same amount back in. Just a guess Until someone else chimes in. There's some Transmission geniuses on here.:prayer:

this is the 727 in my lil red express but our members here are way better than any where else so i ll ask the question.
I needed a new trans gasket a month ago so i got one and filter while i was there. Trans has 40k miles and never been touched so i assumed i should go ahead and adjust the bands. followed the process "tightened adjuster down to 72 inch Lb then backed off 2 full turns. for both the 1-2 and R-3 adjustments. put the new filter in new gasket sealed the pan on and filled with fluid. no major issue. until i start to pull the truck out and it acts as if my parking brake is LOCKED down. i try forward gears same deal engine revs to 3500 rpm to even get moving and then it still feels like the brakes are holding. I checked all 4 corners for heat and even pushed the truck in Neutral to double check. i have since repeated the process double checking to make sure i did not over tighten when setting the lock nuts
I NEED HELP guys

HAVE YOU EVER DRIVEN THE TRUCK BEFORE THIS? high stahl convertor,low on fluid. the reason i ask is, did it do this before?(high stahl)?

Don't forget he said this.
It's binding.

"until i start to pull the truck out and it acts as if my parking brake is LOCKED down. i try forward gears same deal engine revs to 3500 rpm to even get moving and then it still feels like the brakes are holding."

I saw that he said it was binding, but again if it doesn't have a high stall converter how could it stall to 3500 which is the rpm he said it started moving at? You know as well as I that even if the wheels were welded to the frame it couldn't stall to 3500 with a stock converter. That's why I asked him if it had a high stall converter. So far he hasn't answered either of my questions.

Also note he said this

I checked all 4 corners for heat and even pushed the truck in Neutral to double check.

I may be wrong but I assume he meant he pushed it by hand, if he was able to push it by hand how could it truly be binding?

Just like you I'm taking my best guess by a fault description posted on an internet thread. If I or you were there I'm sure we'd better understand.:D

I saw that he said it was binding, but again if it doesn't have a high stall converter how could it stall to 3500 which is the rpm he said it started moving at? You know as well as I that even if the wheels were welded to the frame it couldn't stall to 3500 with a stock converter. That's why I asked him if it had a high stall converter. So far he hasn't answered either of my questions.
Exactly, unless the converter didn't have enough oil in it.

Also note he said this

I may be wrong but I assume he meant he pushed it by hand, if he was able to push it by hand how could it truly be binding?
Yep, it would unbind if you pushed it the other way too, if it was a band off the strut.
And I would try it running, and not running to see if it was different.

Just like you I'm taking my best guess by a fault description posted on an internet thread. If I or you were there I'm sure we'd better understand.:D

Chking that filter gasket would be a must, as already mentioned.

I would have never did a band adjustment , i have had Mopars for 35 years .Other than change fluid and gasket , front pump seal tail shaft seal i have never had a problem with a 727 transmission small or big block .Actually i have taken these out of cars in the woods that were sitting from god knows how long , drained fluid, gasket, two new seals , new filter put them in work perfect.

HAVE YOU EVER DRIVEN THE TRUCK BEFORE THIS? high stahl convertor,low on fluid. the reason i ask is, did it do this before?(high stahl)?
Drove at least 500 miles between the time i got it and changin the gasket worked good :( before.

"you sold it over a transmission?" no i didnt keep teh 1st one to make a pair the one i have now is factory A?C and WAY WAY WAY nicer to start with

There is no gasket on those filters. There are two different filters though. One with one hole and one with two holes. Make sure you put the right filter on it. Secondly I'm still waiting to here if you checked the fluid in neutral and not park.

Ok checked the fluid in every position possible to be safe, readjusted the outside adjuster that made it better , not right but better so looks like time to take the pan down for the 3rd time and redo that adjuster. geez this truck is killing me

-
Back