Help! 73 sport seat rebuild!!!!!

-

Yorkman1

Reaction score
So I’m currently in process of starting to redo the rear seats. I can’t find a video anywhere that shows the kind of receipt that I have. I got an upholstery kit from legendary and also interior as well. They sent me cotton because that’s what they say the material is for my car. When I pulled apart the rear seat it’s foam.
Is this going to change how I do the installation. I really need some advice here.
D4A39C52-DC4B-472F-B9CF-A5CBE5B55B44.jpeg
5E41E87B-01DF-40A8-8913-A037560D9B79.jpeg
60331BC3-64E0-4D55-9D0A-9329A0876883.jpeg
DFA38C63-4E6A-47F7-B3C4-69BF5C6BA025.jpeg
BBB0922E-7BA5-4C6A-845B-C3FC21D76050.jpeg
3509453B-1F35-462B-BAEF-1D6FBC4311E5.jpeg
DD64E821-BD22-4810-9274-F4F78F9F049E.jpeg

I have done some front and rear seats before, with legendary stuff on GM cars, and I have used a lot of that cotton, but there was a small layer of foam below it. Usually you put the burlap with the felt on the sides of it first onto the frame with a ton of hog rings, then one piece of thin foam with more hog rings, and then 3-5 layers or cotton, then the muslin with hog rings, and then the cover goes over with another ton of hog rings. Legendary may be correct in that your seat was all cotton with no foam, but I have never done one like that. I would call them again and verify that your seat originally had no foam. They have a really good YouTube channel with how to install their covers, it is very detailed, but not every car is there. they do have quite a few Mopar seats so take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/user/legendaryauto

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I think that they should have sent you two big pieces of foam to do the upper and lower seats. BTW your foam looks to be in good condition, you could just reuse it. Replace the burlap and put the felt on the frame, put your foam back on, and then add some of the cotton that legendary sent you. It will come out fine. Legendary is like a strictler for originality, but if you buy like PUI stuff, they will just send you a bunch of foam and none of that cotton. As long as you have enough material there to fill up your covers well, you will be fine. The only advice I can give you is that the covers need to be kinda of hard to put on, you need a lot of material under the covers. You really have to work the vinyl and stretch it to get your hog rings on, it should not be easy. Was there just no cotton on your seats?

Here's a guy just putting new covers on his old foam, and everything underneath it:

Here is PUI taking out the factory foam and cotton, which you can see at the beginning of the video and just using foam with no cotton:

Just watch a bunch of tutorials on YouTube, so you know exactly how to do this, and remember to start putting your hog rings from the middle of the seat out.

I have watched them as well and yeah it’s all foam. No cotton at all either seat. So wierd that they would be wrong with the kit. And yeah let me tell you I can’t even begin to stretch the seat over the frame. It’s so tight. Today I’m going to let it get hot in the sun!

-
Back