help 904 trans problem

-

plum crazy dart

Reaction score
Have a 74 dart /225 w/904 Trans seems to be blowing fluid out the fill tube. It was suggested that it could be blocked vent. Which from what I understand is located behind the torque conv so I'd have to pull trans to check? Also suggested that I blow some air into filler tube to see if I can unplug vent. Sounds reasonable to me, any thoughts? Was thinking about putting a rubber stopper into filler tube, bad idea? The dipstick dosent fit very well tried a couple trans parts shops/auto parts stores for a dipstick. Was basically told good luck. Found a store on ebag selling stick and tube says it fits chrysler 904 and gm 700 r-4. Should be able to find one for an r-4 locally with no prob. Anyone else know if this will work? Link to ebag stick and tube. http://www.ebay.com/itm/270792349583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 Don't have $85 for a dipstick and tube though. Thanks :prayer:

No checked idling warm in N, Had to put a quart in to get it up to level. I'd wonder if I had the wrong dipstick but it starts slipping aftr it gets low till I fill it back up.

I had a 904 doing that and found that I had added fluid different type then what was in it. I changed the fluid and filter put in all the right fluid and no more problem. Hope you problem might be fixed that easy.

I had a 904 doing that and found that I had added fluid different type then what was in it. I changed the fluid and filter put in all the right fluid and no more problem. Hope you problem might be fixed that easy.

what kind of fluid were you using? i have used all types of fluids in these things , type F , Dex 3 , atf+4 , merc/dex , and ive never had a fluid make any real difference.

Put a qt of fluid in, plugged the fill tube with a rubber stopper. Drove around a little, so far so good... :prayer: maybe I just need a dipstick that seals???? Supposedly a stick for a gm 700 r-4 will fit, i dunno gm on a mopar, not good :-(

I would NOT blow air into the fill tube. You could blow the seals right out then you'd be pulling the trans. for sure. I've never ran into it but have read that a plugged trans. cooler can cause them to blow fluid out. No idea about the interchange on fill tubes. why don't you post a want ad here in the want ad forum? I bet someone will have one for sale cheap. Come to think of it not more than 2 weeks ago someone was parting out several 904's. I think he had the ad in the parts for sale forum but I'm not positive

I would NOT blow air into the fill tube. You could blow the seals right out then you'd be pulling the trans. for sure. I've never ran into it but have read that a plugged trans. cooler can cause them to blow fluid out. No idea about the interchange on fill tubes. why don't you post a want ad here in the want ad forum? I bet someone will have one for sale cheap. Come to think of it not more than 2 weeks ago someone was parting out several 904's. I think he had the ad in the parts for sale forum but I'm not positive
when i mentioned to give the filler pipe a couple shots of air, i didnt mean for him to try to pressurize it. given where the vent is and that the convertor almost covers it, i doubt that its plugged. if the cooler was plugged, driving the car may over heat the tranny enough to burp out the pipe, but then there would be tranny damage due to no lube. but that wouldnt explain why it leaked just sitting after moveing it across the driveway. i think he should find the proper pipe and dipstick and see what happens.

when i mentioned to give the filler pipe a couple shots of air, i didnt mean for him to try to pressurize it. given where the vent is and that the convertor almost covers it, i doubt that its plugged. if the cooler was plugged, driving the car may over heat the tranny enough to burp out the pipe, but then there would be tranny damage due to no lube. but that wouldnt explain why it leaked just sitting after moveing it across the driveway. i think he should find the proper pipe and dipstick and see what happens.

I don't see a post from you saying anything about it. I just noticed where he said it was suggested that he blow air into it. I took it that he might not know how much and hit it with a lot of air. That's why I said what I said. I agree a couple quick low pressure shots shouldn't hurt anything and also agree that where it's located up high it shouldn't be plugged.

-
Back