HELP! A904 skipping 2nd gear.

-
AGAIN! This has happened again! At least I hope it's the same thing, because nothing was broken last time - it just came apart.

Aren't I lucky I scheduled a "vacation" day for tomorrow so I can spend a few hours on my back under the car.

Is there any chance that the band adjustment spec is not quite enough for my trans? What would happen if I torqued the adjustment screw 72 in lbs and I only backed it off 2 or 1.75 turns, instead of the spec of 2.25 turns?

Sorry to resurrect this post, but I'm having a similar issue. I was wondering how it turned out in your case?

The first time it happened I adjusted the band and everything was good. In hindsight it was probably a sign that the band was worn out, because the second time it happened it couldn't be adjusted tight enough to work. It turned out the band had no friction material left and It was gouging the drum. That made the tranny rebuild a little more complicated because the drum needed to be replaced, which is apparently not normal.

The first time it happened I adjusted the band and everything was good. In hindsight it was probably a sign that the band was worn out, because the second time it happened it couldn't be adjusted tight enough to work. It turned out the band had no friction material left and It was gouging the drum. That made the tranny rebuild a little more complicated because the drum needed to be replaced, which is apparently not normal.
Well it did last you a year and a half at least. Thanks for the info! I think it's probably time for mine to get overhauled.

-
Back