HELP!!!Condensation is ruining my life!!!!!!!!

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Here in the Land Of Lincoln, spring is in the air, and with it, moisture. Everything in my garage is covered with moisture. There are beads of water standing on the floor...and that's with the door open all day and fans running. Naturally, everything unpainted is covered with rust like a mossy rock. I'm sure some of you deal with the same problem and have come up with creative solutions. What works best...dehumidifiers, roof vents, attic fans? I'm getting desperate, as all the work I did last fall is getting ruined.

Hey Cap'n,try a dehumidifer,or better yet,a window A/C. The A/C will keep your garage cool to work in,and remove the moisture.

I agree with the dehimidifier.Get one and then put a hose on it to drain right through the wall that way you don't have to worry about dumping the tank.I use them and they awork GREAT! When the humidity is low just turn it off. You will be happy you got one! I would look on Ebay you can probably pick one up pretty cheap.If I remember correctly I got mine at Home Depot about 8 years ago.

Captain, I lived in Chi town and the northern suburbs for 28 years. I know exactly what your talking about. I remember having a freshly machined block in my garage for one day and the bore rusted. :cussing:

I couldn't take it any more and just ended up moving west. :|

Do you have your floor painted to stop moisture from coming up though the unsealed
concrete, that will stop allot of it!

memike said:
Do you have your floor painted to stop moisture from coming up though the unsealed
concrete, that will stop allot of it!
No, the floor is not painted...if it was, the paint would be lying around in huge flakes. There is no way paint would or could stick to that floor with that kind of moisture present.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll price out dehumidifiers and window AC units. I have a floor drain which runs to outside that I could route the dehumidifier hose to.

Ramcharger, where abouts did you live?

I lived in Chi town proper around Clark and Chase for a while, Morton Grove, Des Plaines, was born in Evanston (St. Francis hospital), got a sister up in Island Lake, I think that's around your part of town. Been to the Volo Auto Museum?

Dang I didn't realize you guys had that humidity problem up there. Around Houston here where I am located it gets really bad 2 or 3 times a year! Moisture will be everywhere,floors,cars walls,everywhere.The rest of the time there is not that much noticable moisture.Although when running the dehumidifier the moisture becomes evident in the catch tank. Days that the moisture is real noticible you can hardly walk on a concrete floor due to floors being really slippery and slipping down. You really have to be careful.But we only see a few days a year like that. You might want to search craigs list and other classified adds for a dehumidifier to try to save a few $$$.Good luck in controling it hope everything works out well for you on the moisture problem.

Yeah, Chicago was once a giant swamp. The name "Chicago" is a actually a corruption of the Indian word for "Smelly Onion" if I recall correctly. Spring is the worst time for condensation problems.

I know if my garage was big enough I'd have the same problem with my Duster. But actually keeping it covered outside I think is better than my old garage for the condensation problem. It dries off very quickly under the car cover after rainy days or humid conditions once it's sunny or a breeze picks up.

-
Back