Help CUDACHICK

-
TrulyVintage ... you really know how to sweep a girl off her feet!!! What a wonderful donation! How I'm going to sum all of that up for the Prize Package list is a challenge I might not be up for on the day after New Year's Eve though. LOL

Bama, your idea is well taken too. The only problem I see with assigning a monetary value to the prizes is that the IRS may have to have a say and claim its share, and I know nobody wants that. (Keep in mind though that my legal experience was mostly in the Labor & Employment venue rather than Taxation so I may not be right ... thoughts from anyone who knows about this???)

After nearly three months of this contest taking place -- and as typical around here when asking for opinions and input to achieve a common goal like our FABO Calendar -- it's just really tough to get twelve thousand people (or even twelve people) to agree on anything.

DusterDude72, you haven't seen many posts from me lately on the board in general or on my contest threads because I'm putting in at least 60-70 hours a week in my shop [this is my busy time of the year anyway, and this particular fall has been my busiest since I opened!] and, like everyone else, have been dealing with holiday obligations to boot. Please don't think I'm ignoring you young guns or have any plans to forget about this project! I just haven't had much time to devote to it (or much else outside of work) lately. If you wanna come over and help me blast some of this stuff and get it prepped it'll be a big help and give me more time to play on FABO. LMAO!!!! :-D [Yeahhhhh, it doesn't work on Billy either hahahaha]

I like your idea of the brainstorm chat, and this is probably a great time to try to get that together since most people aren't working as often as usual. But considering our lack-of-agreement track record, we probably all couldn't even agree on a good time to get together to talk about it. But Sunday night works for me! Feel free to discuss it amongst yourselves if you can't make it.

What: YOUNG GUNS CONTEST OPEN CHAT DISCUSSION
When: Sunday, January 3, 2010
Time: 8:00 p.m. central time - ?????
Where: FABO Chat room

Maybe we'll get some things hammered out and finalized. Or I'll just start dolin' out prizes at the end of the month. :-D

Thanks to all for the continuing donations ... for keeping this effort in your hearts and minds ... and for never failing to share your ideas. We'll get it figured out, I just know it.

I toatally understand leanna ....I did not think your were ignoring any of us...I figured with holidays that was the case. I was just mentioning that I had not seen much from you lately.

I could try to make it into chat on sunday and put my few cents in......about when on sunday? 8ish ,9ish,10ish. anyhow...Ill pop in on sunday night sometime lol, take care everyone

Bama, your idea is well taken too. The only problem I see with assigning a monetary value to the prizes is that the IRS may have to have a say and claim its share, and I know nobody wants that. (Keep in mind though that my legal experience was mostly in the Labor & Employment venue rather than Taxation so I may not be right ... thoughts from anyone who knows about this???)

I think my idea was not to really publish a monetary value, but to rank the more valuable prizes within a point system where they are worth more points, then award the prize winners a certain number points for first, second, and third places, etc. in a descending order ( 1000 points for first, 900 for second, etc) Then list the prizes with their point value at a set date in a new thread, then the winners begin posting offers just like the parts for sale section. First winner willing to expend the points for an item they want or need, gets it. This way, the winners get things they need or want, making it useable for their project.
Further, It may be a good idea to let the young guns who are in the contest send you or someone a PM listing things they need now, that could be posted. I, or others, may have that exact part lying around and be willing to donate it.
Finally, an alternative would be to let the young gun winners rank the prizes in the order that they need them and pm it to someone. We then give priority to the First, then second, then third, etc places and try to get them as much as they want or need, based on that list.
As far as the IRS goes, if they become involved it will not matter the way the prizes are dispensed, these are free parts, no money exchanges hands. The IRS doesn't get involved with the parts we currently sell do they?

David

Further, It may be a good idea to let the young guns who are in the contest send you or someone a PM listing things they need now, that could be posted. I, or others, may have that exact part lying around and be willing to donate it.
David

David, I really love this idea, like you said it gives the doners an idea of exactly what the Young Guns need to finish their project, instead of having to guess and go when it comes to donations. Let me know who to send my list to if we decide to go ahead with that, I have a few parts I've been looking for for the past 5 months, lol. I'll definately be at the discussion tomorrow, can't wait to hear everyone's ideas!
Kelsey Dana

David, I really love this idea, like you said it gives the doners an idea of exactly what the Young Guns need to finish their project, instead of having to guess and go when it comes to donations. Let me know who to send my list to if we decide to go ahead with that, I have a few parts I've been looking for for the past 5 months, lol. I'll definately be at the discussion tomorrow, can't wait to hear everyone's ideas!
Kelsey Dana

Kelsey Dana

Please join us tomorrow night and speak up. You young guns are the future of this hobby and with so many kids today going for the imports, I am glad to know that the old mopars still have a chance in the future. We have to help keep y'all going!

By the way, Nice Scamp. I had a 72 B5 blue scamp slant six three on the tree and like an idiot, I sold it.

david

I know I'm overdue for a Prize Package Update again, but in the meantime this will serve as both a thread bump and an IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT about the Young Guns Contest: I've scheduled an Open Chat Discussion so we can hash out prize distribution (great idea bamacuda!!).

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=85014&referrerid=641

Hope to see everybody tomorrow night!

judging by the young guns thread,it looks like the chat is on for 8ish and there after....so I will try to make it in there and be a part of it and I hope to see the rest of you there!

thanks bamacuda for the great suggestions,out of all of them so far I am leaning towards thinking yours are making the best sense .....we may just have to tweak a couple things to make it work with this drawing (which we will all have a chance to mow over tonight in the chat)

glad I could contribute with the idea of a group discussion in chat aswell!

I think all the young gunz aswell as those who are not should show up to the chat tonight as we need all input on the situation.
I am sure we can get it figured out though.

Im thinking the points system is a good idea I just think we need to figure out how many points someone gets,what prizes will be worth how many points,how many members are in the drawing,how the winners will be judged and things like that.

I also think that possibly it could be split into category's? such as....say some people need interior parts,some need mechanical parts,some need exterior parts,some need tools.....you could set the category's into there own prize drawings....such as 3 winners per category, 1st place,2nd place and 3rd place for interior,and so on.

rather than 3 or so winners fighting for all the prizes........have the potential winners inform you of if they need interior or exterior or mechanical parts or tools more and let them choose which category they want to enter......those who do not contact you and inform you of the category they want to enter can be added to a random category by default.

Just an idea....may be good,may not, you all decide

put me down for a oreilly auto parts gift card for $20.00 tell me who what when and where

its 8:00 pm sunday night...im in chat, hope to see everyone else in there soon

First off, I'd like to thank all those who attended the Young Guns Prize Distribution Chat session held the other night. A lot of good ideas were tossed around, and I appreciate everyone taking the time to participate and share their thoughts.

I know the entrants are all chompin' at the bit awaiting my decision on how all the goodies are going to be awarded. Your patience will be rewarded young grasshoppers!!! :-D We still have 3 1/2 weeks til the January 31 drawing is held ... plenty of time to get those last-minute stories and donations in!

Until then, this is the latest revision to the FABO Young Guns Story Contest Prize Package.

* * *​

1. $100.00 Gift Certificate from Phoenix Specialty Coatings donated by CudaChick1968

2. Cash donation (based upon number of members) from Small Block

3. FABO t-shirt from Memike

4. Winner’s choice: Rebuilt lower control arms with new bushings or ’63 – ‘66 V8 centerlink donated by 65 Dartman, to be powder coated by PSC

5. Mac Tools 29-piece screwdriver/bit set from our very own Mac Tools dealer ToolmanMike

6. A 3" high by 36" long decal of the model name of the winner's car (Duster, Demon, etc.) in his/her choice of color, along with 6 smaller decals (1 1/2" x 12" or so) donated by GTGrinly

7. From 65BCODA, a cash donation of $20 towards an aftermarket supplier’s gift certificate (i.e., Summit Racing, Jegs, etc.) for the winner of the January 31, 2010 drawing, as well as $20 in gift certificates for any future monthly drawings to be held (a total of $120, up to six months’ worth of drawings!!!)

8. '67 - '76 black 4 speed carpet set for a 2 door A-Body from FASTBACK340

9. A Lokar throttle pedal from avarageerod

10. Lightweight master cylinder, AR Engineering billet adapter and heat shield from a FABO member who wishes to remain anonymous

11. Handcrafted valve block donated by Ramcharger

12. Two big bolt pattern rally wheels with tires donated by amzchad

13. Small block Mickey Thompson valve covers purchased from oldschoolcuda by Small Block … shipping them here so the winner can choose the powder coat color(s) and I’ll work them up custom

14. For a 1967 Barracuda: 2 taillight lenses, 2 outside door handles, 2 inside door handles, 2 front armrest bases, and 1 original steering wheel donated by DRENO

15. $66.00 cash donation from Floorman. I plan to combine these funds with 65BCODA’s monetary donation toward an aftermarket gift certificate (see #7 above) unless I receive objections to the contrary

16. A non-running 318 from amzchad … the winner must make arrangements to pick it up or get it shipped

17. A good running 318 with a Thermoquad intake (including an adapter for a square bore carb) and decent 727 from 65 Dartman … the winner must make arrangements to pick it up or get it shipped

18. / 19. Two (2) one-year subscriptions to Mopar Muscle magazine donated by Small Block

20. Thermoquad carburetor (works, but could probably use a rebuild) from godfatherofchry

21. A professional rendering of the winner’s car prepared and donated by bjkadron

22. A 727 Racing Overhaul Kit from Andrews Racing Transmisissions ($150 value) donated by company owner Chris Andrews aka Duster346

23. Rebuilt door hinges for the winner’s car donated by res1vw21

24. Handcrafted oil pump priming shaft donated by godfatherofchry

25. $20.00 Gift Card from O’Reilly’s Auto Parts donated by Motopsycho

26. $125 Gift Certificate from Phoenix Specialty Coatings purchased / donated by bcuda452.

27. [Your donation could be listed here ... ]

Subject to his availability and assuming the patience of the winners, TrulyVintage has generously donated professional transport and shipping services for the larger items previously donated (i.e., Items 16 and 17 above) to help the Young Guns get their goodies home. This item is NOT being numbered since it will be awarded only to the winner(s) of the larger items requiring specialized transport.

Time for an update!

1. $100.00 Gift Certificate from Phoenix Specialty Coatings donated by CudaChick1968

2. Cash donation (based upon number of members) from Small Block

3. FABO t-shirt from Memike

4. Winner’s choice: Rebuilt lower control arms with new bushings or ’63 – ‘66 V8 centerlink donated by 65 Dartman, to be powder coated by PSC

5. Mac Tools 29-piece screwdriver/bit set from our very own Mac Tools dealer ToolmanMike

6. A 3" high by 36" long decal of the model name of the winner's car (Duster, Demon, etc.) in his/her choice of color, along with 6 smaller decals (1 1/2" x 12" or so) donated by GTGrinly

7. From 65BCODA, a cash donation of $20 towards an aftermarket supplier’s gift certificate (i.e., Summit Racing, Jegs, etc.) for the winner of the January 31, 2010 drawing, as well as $20 in gift certificates for any future monthly drawings to be held (a total of $120, up to six months’ worth of drawings!!!)

8. '67 - '76 black 4 speed carpet set for a 2 door A-Body from FASTBACK340

9. A Lokar throttle pedal from avarageerod

10. Lightweight master cylinder, AR Engineering billet adapter and heat shield from a FABO member who wishes to remain anonymous

11. Handcrafted valve block donated by Ramcharger

12. Two big bolt pattern rally wheels with tires donated by amzchad

13. Small block Mickey Thompson valve covers purchased from oldschoolcuda by Small Block … shipping them here so the winner can choose the powder coat color(s) and I’ll work them up custom

14. For a 1967 Barracuda: 2 taillight lenses, 2 outside door handles, 2 inside door handles, 2 front armrest bases, and 1 original steering wheel donated by DRENO

15. $66.00 cash donation from Floorman. I plan to combine these funds with 65BCODA’s monetary donation toward an aftermarket gift certificate (see #7 above) unless I receive objections to the contrary

16. A non-running 318 from amzchad … the winner must make arrangements to pick it up or get it shipped

17. A good running 318 with a Thermoquad intake (including an adapter for a square bore carb) and decent 727 from 65 Dartman … the winner must make arrangements to pick it up or get it shipped

18. / 19. Two (2) one-year subscriptions to Mopar Muscle magazine donated by Small Block

20. Thermoquad carburetor (works, but could probably use a rebuild) from godfatherofchry

21. A professional rendering of the winner’s car prepared and donated by bjkadron

22. A 727 Racing Overhaul Kit from Andrews Racing Transmisissions ($150 value) donated by company owner Chris Andrews aka Duster346

23. Rebuilt door hinges for the winner’s car donated by res1vw21

24. Handcrafted oil pump priming shaft donated by godfatherofchry

25. $20.00 Gift Card from O’Reilly’s Auto Parts donated by Motopsycho

26. $125 Gift Certificate from Phoenix Specialty Coatings purchased / donated by bcuda452.

27. An 18” x 24” Custom Show Board of the winner’s car donated by famed photographer Jeff Strong of Strong Keepsake Images

28. [Your donation could be listed here ... ]

Subject to his availability and assuming the patience of the winners, TrulyVintage has generously donated professional transport and shipping services for the large items previously donated (i.e., Items 16 and 17 above) to help the Young Guns get their goodies home. This item is NOT being numbered since it will be awarded only to the winner(s) of the larger items requiring specialized transport.

The first random drawing is scheduled for January 31, 2010. There's still time to submit your story or make a donation to this terrific contest.

Thanks once again to the generous members and vendors who are making this event a big success!

Now we're not talking any crappy 2x4 with 8 holes drilled in it, I'm thinking of some aluminum inlay.... :)

CudaCrazy, let me know when this due, lol~

BTW//// Where are my Jeep parts??? LOL!!! Not giving you a kick in the ***, just a gentle push on your butt. :)

LMAO @ the crappy 2 x 4 ... now Joe, we all know you better than that! I'll have to modify your Prize Package entry to include the custom engraving, stainless accents and 24 karat gold plating. :poke:

Ohhhh man, now I feel like a slacker. :-( Seriously, your stuff is next in line!!!

Finished a job for j-miller the day before yesterday, almost finished a biggggg one for a racingjunk guy today that I've been working on for awhile [but, like a dork, I pulled a wire loose in my oven control box this afternoon and had to wait til 8:30 tonight for Richard to come bail me out (he still had the schematic we made)]. I used the down time to get some more prep work done on the job immediately ahead of yours for Hans_nwk.

I promise honey, it's almost time for YOU!!! :love7: Feel free to push on my butt anytime you like.

There's good news though. I'm actually pretty close to being on schedule for my 6-week time estimate. Remember I told you I thought your parts qualified for the December special? Well ... I looked at my arrival note and they got here November 30. But since you've been so patient and are such a good customer, I'll give you the December discount anyway just as a little show of appreciation. I can't do that for just anybody ... but I have some influence over the boss. LOL!!!!!!

Okayyyy enough personal stuff. Back to the contest!!!

hugh hummm gettin a little friendly in here lol hello thanks for the updated list
cudachick you and all the other donors are very generous thanks a million I'll leave you two alone now

LOL Shiifty!!! I guess it's fairly apparent that we've worked together before???

Joe, since there's 1083 miles between us, I'll have to give a little bit of my love to your parts instead.

Oh my, that sure doesn't look very good in print, does it?

LMAO! Leanna, you are truly the best!

Shiifty,

She's a wonderful woman to work with and a great friend to have. When you get older you'll find that it's possible to be friends with a woman without trying to jump in her drawers. :) Flirting is fine though, lol.

So true!

Anyway, there's still fourteen days left to contribute something to this giveaway either in the form of a story or donation to the Prize Package. Any last minute takers?

I'll be making a formal announcement on the rules changes for prize distribution shortly -- stay tuned. Right now, I'll tell you it got a lot more attention than I ever expected when I first posted it in October. Each and every one of you reading this is responsible for that explosion, so pat yourselves on the back for a job well done! There really is strength in numbers.

Keep the stories and prizes coming! :-D

So true!

Anyway, there's still fourteen days left to contribute something to this giveaway either in the form of a story or donation to the Prize Package. Any last minute takers?

I'll be making a formal announcement on the rules changes for prize distribution shortly -- stay tuned. Right now, I'll tell you it got a lot more attention than I ever expected when I first posted it in October. Each and every one of you reading this is responsible for that explosion, so pat yourselves on the back for a job well done! There really is strength in numbers.

Keep the stories and prizes coming! :-D
I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw this in October either Leanna. But I knew it would be a good thing! I know you've heard it alot, but THANKS SOOO MUCH FOR DOING THIS!!!!

ALLLLL OF US YOUNG GUNS APPRECIATE IT!!:cheers:

After full consideration of all the input I received from everyone who helped shape this awesome little contest into what it has become over the last three months, I've now reached a decision as to how all prizes will be distributed.

It hasn't been easy ya know.

I figured at the beginning that maybe five or six people might kick something in, allowing a Young Gun to get a few cool things to help their project along and get a little bit closer to realizing The Ultimate Dream Car in their own driveway. I've been simply amazed at the generosity of the FABO members who jumped on the band wagon with me. Never in a million years did I expect a first attempt to yield so many worthy contestants, such an outpouring of support, and so many terrific prizes.

And I've had a few stats to consider as well ...

a) Almost FIFTY young people have submitted snapshots of their lives for this contest. Judging by the quality of their rides, the hard work they've done so far and their contributions to the contest thread, it's pretty obvious that they'll be carrying the Old Car Hobby torch well into the future. I knew we had a fewwwww but I didn't expect so many! Awesome!!!

b) The Young Guns contest thread itself has had almost FOUR THOUSAND VIEWS and 159 POSTS in three months' time. Disregarding a couple moments of side tracks and a bit of temporary insanity :-D, it's a pretty good read too.

c) Forty-six entrants aged 25 and under who were already FABO members on October 22, 2009 are qualified for the January 31 drawing as of this writing. I noticed one kid who's celebrating his fifth FABO anniversary this month!

d) Five new FABO members are qualified for any future Young Guns Contest(s) that may be scheduled. Even though they knew they couldn't win anything this time, these young men and ladies still felt strongly enough to take the time to get involved and share their stories. That's cool! (We know we've got 'em addicted and they'll be around getting their fix forever now heh hehhhhhh <evil laugh>)

e) This thread has had 3,651 views and 145 posts -- that translates into a ton of support!​

Because this little idea has grown so much and so many awesome prizes have been donated, it hardly seems fair now to award everything to just one person and have all that momentum and excitement be over in just a day. When everything is said and done, FABO is about sharing what we know with our fellow enthusiasts and spreading the love around. I see no reason why this contest should end any differently. So here's the deal:

9 Young Guns are Going Home with 3 Prizes Apiece

Revised Rules for Prize Distribution:​

On January 31, 2010, one name will be drawn at random from the 46 entrants qualified for the January 31 drawing. Immediately, three (3) numbers will be drawn at random from a separate jar of papers labeled 1 through 27 (one representing each prize listed numerically on the Prize Package).

The January 31, 2010 winner will be heavily announced in the Young Guns -- Sign In and Win thread, this thread, via a PM sent to their user name, and/or via an email sent to their personal email address supplied to me at the time they entered the contest. It will be really hard to miss in other words. :-D

The winner announcement will also contain the name(s) of the FABO member(s) who donated the prizes won to give everyone an advance "head's up" and provide additional member recognition for the generous donation. (Please work out the prize transfer details on your own if at all possible ... patience and flexibility on everyone's part are not only appreciated but necessary for the successful completion of this contest. If you're asked to kick in a few bucks for shipping for example, please be understanding.)

The January 31, 2010 winner will have fourteen (14) days from the date of the published winner announcements to respond in writing to a winning notification and claim their prizes.

The same process will occur monthly on the last day of each month until nine (9) winners of three (3) prizes each are chosen and all twenty-seven (27) prizes have been awarded.

Any additional stories posted and prizes donated after January 30, 2010 will be applied to a future Young Guns Contest, if any. (You know I'll probably do this again, but let me just get through the first one. LOL!!!)

If a prize is refused by a winner for any reason, its prize number will be returned to the Prize Jar for a later drawing.

All decisions will be final!!! If you win something you don't want or need, you are welcome to do with it as you wish ... offer it back to the person who donated it, trade it, sell it, give it away, donate it to a future Young Guns contest, use it for target practice, etc. That's the nature of the car building hobby and life in general -- you can't always get what you want.

All entrants are requested to keep me advised of any changes to their user name or email address. If I can't find you, it will be tough to claim your prizes!

I know I can't possibly please everyone and realize there's probably a few "Oh mannnn"s floating around right now, but I do appreciate all the invaluable input and suggestions provided to me along the way. Though reaching this decision was not easy, you can know in your heart that I'm just trying to do the best I can for those who not only participated in this event, but on behalf of this terrific organization we all call home.

Thanks again for helping make this a wonderful success! You should all be very proud of yourselves. :love7:

Works for me... Great Job Leanna! I don't know if I could have pulled it all together like that but you did an amazing Job! Three cheers for Leanna!!!

-
Back