Help exhaust guys!

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
Be decided what I want to do in the long run is to own/operate a small muffler/exhaust shop. Those of you that do this, how/where did you learn to bend the pipe? I know learning to weld is a must, but I'm not sure how to go about learning to bend pipe (double bends and all that crafty stuff).

Perhaps you should try working at a muffler shop to see if it is actually what you want to do before making that big a commitment? That would also get you the training you need.

Perhaps you should try working at a muffler shop to see if it is actually what you want to do before making that big a commitment? That would also get you the training you need.
unfortunately the nearest shop is 3hrs away

There is a "card catalog" very similar to what you find in a library that includes the locations for bends and correct angles for every car made. Also an inclinometer that attaches to the pipe to tell you what angle to make the bend. Of course, for custom work those things are usually not needed. That's how you learn though. Using the catalog, using the tools for the job. Once you get the hang of it, you can pretty much let the catalog collect dust, but it is still a priceless resource.

Of course as with everything, the card system is now on disc.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/accessories/cs-1.aspx

There is a "card catalog" very similar to what you find in a library that includes the locations for bends and correct angles for every car made. Also an inclinometer that attaches to the pipe to tell you what angle to make the bend. Of course, for custom work those things are usually not needed. That's how you learn though. Using the catalog, using the tools for the job. Once you get the hang of it, you can pretty much let the catalog collect dust, but it is still a priceless resource. Of course as with everything, the card system is now on disc. http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/accessories/cs-1.aspx
thanks rob! That helps a lot! I'll check it out. If I get enough back from taxes I want to get a pipe bender from a co worker. Does up to 3" pipe for $200. Apparently his dad used to do exhaust work, but he passed away when Steven was 8. So he didn't get to learn any of the skills.

Chuck, what about this pipe bender? What name/kind is it? A cheap pipe bender is an expensive pipe crusher. Good benders with all the dies, like a Blue Bullet, new are like $7000 ( http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_126121_126121?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Metal%20Fabrication-_-Pipe%20%2B%20Bar%20Fabrication-_-144210&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=144210&gclid=CJfLtMnRqLsCFQlgMgodPUcAZQ ) My neighbor Mike bought a used one for $2800 and has only used it a couple times in the last year. These are still pipe crushers/stretchers and not mandrel benders but is the style most exhaust shops use. Mandrel benders cost a little bit more. http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/mandrel-tube-bender-mb-350?gclid=CMOclarVqLsCFcVFMgodn0sAXA
I worked at a shop in Durango with a Blue Bullet for 6-7 years. We did maybe 2 or 3 exhaust jobs a month. There is just not a call for it here in the dry South West. **** just doesn't rot out. Most of the exhaust work we did was custom, non OE stuff. We did some OE replacement systems but most of that was on cars that came from the rust belt. It was nice to have around for our own hot rod projects, but usually we were tripping over it in the shop. When I first started bending exhaust I made mistakes. You can not un-bend pipe and try to save it, I've tried.. doesn't work! Now you have scrap that someone has to pay for. It took some time to get the hang of it and a bunch of scrap pipe in the process. It takes seat time. My boss was good about the F-ups. Learning curve. We also had a drive on, 4 post rack which is the only way to go for exhaust work. The suspension stays loaded so you know if it fits or hits and it's wide open under the middle of the car. $200 might not seem like a big investment and it might be a sweet bender but I would look long and hard at the whole picture. A shop/space to rent, a lift, pipe, clamps, hangers and muffler inventory, tools, welder and all the associated overhead, insurance and advertising. And of course the demographics for the area your in. Not a lot of hot-rodders in Cortez, and most won't be willing to pay what it costs for custom exhaust work. That's why you don't see any exhaust only shops around. They can't survive specializing in exhaust only. Maybe as a side to an established auto repair shop but not stand alone. Not trying to knock your idea, just sharing my thoughts and local experience with you Bro. I want you to succeed, not get in deeper!
Larry :D

thanks rob! That helps a lot! I'll check it out. If I get enough back from taxes I want to get a pipe bender from a co worker. Does up to 3" pipe for $200. Apparently his dad used to do exhaust work, but he passed away when Steven was 8. So he didn't get to learn any of the skills.

Be careful of cheap benders. The type bender you need starts out at around 3K dollars. Cheap benders will crush pipe instead of bending it. Can you post a link to the type of bender you're talking about?

It's very easy learning to use the cards and bending pipe. The art of it comes into play when someone wants you to build a custom system. My old boss was great at this. Back in the late 90's he was charging $200-$250 for a custom dual exhaust job. At the time, most other people wanted over $400 to custom bend a system.(prebent systems were just gaining popularity at the time)

He is no longer in business. Please think very hard about this. Exhaust shops used to be common place. Now, not many still exist. The reason is that all new cars(even the cheapest of them) have stainless exhaust systems and will NEVER need exhaust work. You may get some vehicles that need repair after an accident or that had broken motor mounts which took out the flex pipe but that's it.

Doesnt sound very lucrative. Sounds more like fill in work for a mechanic shop.

Thanks guys! the cheap bender certainly won't be for commercial use, but instead for a means to learn with.

Larry, I'll give you a call tonight if your up to it

It's similar to this one http://bit.ly/1bEXyFs

You can get one way cheaper than what you are talking about at HF. Now, from experience, you can make dead perfect bends with that, BUT it's very time consuming. You need to choose your length of pipe, fill it completely with sand, tape up the PISS outta the ends and bend it. The sand will keep the pipe from crushing and you will get bends almost as good as a mandrel bender. But like I said, it's time consuming. I have done it like that before myself with tremendous success. The system I made with it looked as good as a TTI system.

Here's the one from HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender-35336.html

You can get one way cheaper than what you are talking about at HF. Now, from experience, you can make dead perfect bends with that, BUT it's very time consuming. You need to choose your length of pipe, fill it completely with sand, tape up the PISS outta the ends and bend it. The sand will keep the pipe from crushing and you will get bends almost as good as a mandrel bender. But like I said, it's time consuming. I have done it like that before myself with tremendous success. The system I made with it looked as good as a TTI system.

Here's the one from HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-ton-hydraulic-pipe-bender-35336.html

Great info.....

-
Back