HELP: Factory Front Frame Brace w/ 440 & 2" Hooker Fenderwell Headers

-

67Dart440

Reaction score
I am posting in this forum as this is really a chassis question, not exhaust. I am wondering if any of you are running 2" Hooker fenderwell headers with a 440 and stock heads and if so, did you have to trim, cut, or remove the front brace that runs between the rocker and front frame rail at the firewall to floorpan seam area?

My car was used as a race car and I will be using it as a street cruiser. It had a 12 point cage which has been removed and will not be replaced. The entire inner fenderwells have been removed. I am having some braces added that will run from the front of the frame back up to the firewall area. Also, they hacked out most of the frame braces to which I am referring and I want to have something fabricated to replace them, but something much more beefy. I am also running an AlterKtion so the frame rails will carry the entire load of the front suspension, so the more bracing the better so far as I am concerned.

Long story short, car is at the fabricators, motor is not in the car. If any of you with this motor/header combination would be kind enough to post some pictures of the available clearance at the brace, or any modification that was necessary I would be most grateful. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures of this area in my car before I took it apart.

This what was left of the braces in my car

dart 12-23-10_005.jpg

dart 12-23-10_007.jpg

Yes, but mine is a 383 with a motor plate I can post pictures later but all the drive-train is out so I'm not sure if that will help you or not?

I'll try to get some pics for you. I'm running edelbrock heads now but the exhaust ports are located in the original location. I ran these same headers on my stock cast iron heads for about a year with no problems, but to answer your question, yes there was a little modifying to make it fit right.

Yes, but mine is a 383 with a motor plate I can post pictures later but all the drive-train is out so I'm not sure if that will help you or not?

You probably have a little more clearance in that area due to the lower deck height, but you still had to trim them?

Just to be sure, These are the the headers your talking about right ? This car is street legal so they would work.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=11134&d=1251318482
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=11135&d=1251318515

I believe those are the same ones... hard to tell for sure from the pics. Mine are the 2" primary Hookers (5215)

DSC00526.JPG

Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone have any pictures they could post showing how much was trimmed and how much clearance you have now??

Thanks!!

.........I had 2 take the braces rite out.......just remember that no 2 cars r alike and no 2 sets of headers r alike.........the mounts/k frame also.......kim...............

-
Back