Help:Grinding Noise In Steering Column

-

Jeffs73

Reaction score
Hello FABO, here is some back story. I had to replace my ignition switch and that went fine except the pin that holds the lock plate was not original so I had to try hitting it and eventually drilled it out. I then put everything back together. I bought a tuff wheel adapter and e body tuff wheel and put that on. Now when I turn my wheel to the right, it makes a pretty good noise and you can feel like it is making metal on metal contact. It only does this in a section of turn in the wheel. So if you turn it left it is smooth but then hits this point, grinds, then gets smooth again until u turn it all the way around and it does the same grinding thing. This is when the car is just sitting, car doesnt run so cant test while driving. What could be wrong in the column? It is a 73 duster, manual steering, auto on column. Thanks

You are just gonna have to disassemble it again and pay very close attention for witness marks removing every part. Lots of parts in there. It could be anything.

Is it possible that I need to replace one of the bearings? I went through it, greased the upper bearing, and made sure everything was okay in there but it continued to make the noise after I put it back together.

I with Rob only way to know is to pull it apart. If your lucky its the adapter rubbing and not down in the column.

-
Back