Help! Headlights just quit working!

-

Al Bundy

four touchdowns!
Reaction score
Hi Guys,The last couple of days the headlight switch was kind of touchy and I would have to rotate and jiggle the knob to get the headlights to come on. Tonight I went out after dark and went inside a store,when I came out the headlights won't turn on at all anymore no matter what I do and I have to drive several miles home. Since its past 10pm and all the parts stores are closed can anyone here tell me if there's a way to bypass the switch and get the lights to work so I can drive home?

Sure. Access your dimmer switch. Disconnect the connector. You can feed 12V into the connector. There are only three. One comes from the switch, one goes to dim, and one goes to bright. You want the VIOLET wire

What do you have for tools / wire ? connectors?

If you can, you can pull the section of the bulkhead connector loose for the lighting circuit. Use a small screwdriver to release the dim wire terminal out of the bulkhead. That will give you a bare 1/4" spade male terminal

Standby I'll look up the color (What year is the car?)

High and low are red and violet, X and Y in the bulkhead connector

VIOLET is what you want, low beam

The far right section, the circled middle terminals

Attachments

• bulkhead.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 105
Hi,thanks 67dart273,i wasn't able to acess the Internet again last night so I just drove home with the flashers on and prayed I didn't get pulled over...I didn't. I was able to buy a new switch with lifetime warranty for $14.85 at O'Reillys. I installed it in about 15 minutes and all is good now.
This dart is a 1970,it had more than three wires on the switch,probably about 7. It just had one big connector block with all the wires in it. I noticed one area around one wire,probably the headlight wire that looked slightly melted,probably from when the other switch went bad.
The hardest part of changing the switch was removing the fluted bezel without damaging it without the proper tool.
Thanks again for helping me! I always appreciate the help from everyone on this site

-
Back