HELP HELP daul point mallory new points don't work old points do

-

moparjon

Reaction score
please help . i have a Mallory 2557701 dual - point dist. on a 1966 - 361 v8 , when i try to put new points in , same gap and dwell as the old ones , ( to spec ) the car will not start . i have used both the 25042 and 25042X points , same result , when i put the old points back in , the car starts every time . what is happening here ? is it a problem with the condenser ? why would only the old points work ? i have tried one new set one old , no start . i've tried different gaps and dwells , no start . i really need help with this as the old points are pretty much used up and i need to get this through inspection . help help help ! i know i know , get a new electronic ingnition , but i can't right now as i am almost completely broke , and it would work fine if i could get some new points to work . anybody EVER heard of this happening ? thanks -jon

ok nobody replied , but heres what happened

ok , in my haste / frustration , i mistated above that the new points were set to dwell too , that was incorrect , i was not getting a dwell reading after setting the gap to spec . after working on the problem for days . i tried the new points again ( the 25042 's ) , no luck , but then tried to put the old ones back in again and was not getting a dwell reading . so , ok its something else . the screw that goes through the distributor housing that has the condenser and coil wire attached to it on the outside , also has the wires to the points on it , on the inside. well , the wire was slightly touching the base plate , causing no spark . i loosened and moved both points wires up making sure they didn't touch anything and got a dwell reading. i then dialed them in and the car was running great ( also the bolt on the coil with the dist. wire was slightly loose . so i tightened them up too ) the next day, today, i was trying the new points again , and noticed that where the wires connect to the blades of the points , the new sets come with the blades straight . which then touch the housing on both sides . so , i bent them away from the housing , making sure that nothing was touching anywhere . then i got spark , got dwell , got em dialed in and the car started . i still can't beleive it . days and days and days , for something so simple . dont let the wires touch anything.

It's always the self induced problems that bite you! Been there so many times.

John D. Beckerley
Austin, Texas

-
Back