HELP HELP HELP ! LEAKING CARB 2BBL 318 72 DART need help with this

-

moparjon

Reaction score
hello , 1972 dart 318 , stock type carb i think its a carter but am not 100% sure , 2 bbl , the carb SEEMS to be leaking fuel where the throttle shaft is . the cables are attached to it , it opens the two plates on the bottom of carb when you push the pedal . OK , so if it is possible to leak there , can i just get a rebuild kit and rebuild it ? , or is it trashed and i need a new carb. or ???? its my daily driver i need this by tomorrow if i can , if its just e rebulid i will get it done in time . but i can't blow ANY cash on the rebuild kit if it won't fix the leak , times are that tough . please help any info is greatly appreciated . it drips out with the engine turned off . not sure about when running but probably . thanks .

also there is very slight side to side play in the shaft ...

If you have a lot of play in the shaft it may not tune properly. Personally I would go to rockauto.com and buy new...

A rebuild kit will not fix this. Your carburetor's throttle body is worn and needs to be rebushed. There's no prefab bushing, and this is a precision machining operation—not just a simple matter of removing a worn-out bushing and installing a new one. From the factory, the steel throttle shaft bears directly on the aluminum throttle body itself. With use and age, the hole in the throttle body gets wallered-out (a Texas term meaning "wallowed out") and air leaks in at the throttle shaft/body junction. The repair operation consists of carefully marking the placement and orientation of the throttle plates relative to the shaft and body, removing them, removing the shaft, overboring the throttle body, and installing bronze, brass or Delrin bushings to restore a tight fit that still permits free movement of the throttle shaft. The throttle plates and the throttle bores have to be carefully marked before disassembly so the plates are put back in exactly the same position, otherwise idle and low-speed operation of the carb will be screwed up.

It's been years since I had one of these done. I used to patronise G&S Auto and Machine, who advertised the service in Hemmings and happened to be local to me. They charged about $35 to $45 depending on the type of carburetor, and offered fast turnaround. 303-795-1412; they may still be rebushing throttle bodies. his is a service you have done at a competent machine shop, and then you go through the carb with a rebuild kit. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. You can't get a new carb from RockAuto or any other parts store, just "remanufactured" junk. Don't waste your money (and the "remanufacturers" don't rebush the throttle shafts).

If you have a lot of play in the shaft it may not tune properly. Personally I would go to rockauto.com and buy new...

not a lot of play but a little . buy new what ? carb ? or shaft ? thanks

A rebuild kit will not fix this. Your carburetor's throttle body is worn and needs to be rebushed. There's no prefab bushing, and this is a precision machining operation—not just a simple matter of removing a worn-out bushing and installing a new one. From the factory, the steel throttle shaft bears directly on the aluminum throttle body itself. With use and age, the hole in the throttle body gets wallered-out (a Texas term meaning "wallowed out") and air leaks in at the throttle shaft/body junction. The repair operation consists of carefully marking the placement and orientation of the throttle plates relative to the shaft and body, removing them, removing the shaft, overboring the throttle body, and installing bronze, brass or Delrin bushings to restore a tight fit that still permits free movement of the throttle shaft. The throttle plates and the throttle bores have to be carefully marked before disassembly so the plates are put back in exactly the same position, otherwise idle and low-speed operation of the carb will be screwed up.

It's been years since I had one of these done. I used to patronise G&S Auto and Machine, who advertised the service in Hemmings and happened to be local to me. They charged about $35 to $45 depending on the type of carburetor, and offered fast turnaround. 303-795-1412; they may still be rebushing throttle bodies. his is a service you have done at a competent machine shop, and then you go through the carb with a rebuild kit. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. You can't get a new carb from RockAuto or any other parts store, just "remanufactured" junk. Don't waste your money (and the "remanufacturers" don't rebush the throttle shafts).

thanks dan ! question , how dangerous is it to drive it this way ? . kinda dangerous or severely dangerous ? thanks .

I wouldn't be driving if it was leaking fuel!! Maybe you can find a local replacement one.

If you're getting substantial liquid fuel out of the throttle shaft area, there's something else wrong with the carb. It probably does need going through with a kit even if you can't afford to have it rebushed at this time.

If you're getting substantial liquid fuel out of the throttle shaft area, there's something else wrong with the carb. It probably does need going through with a kit even if you can't afford to have it rebushed at this time.
ok thanks , im gonna take it to a carb shop tommorrow , they said they will rebuild ( whole carb ) and rebush for 100.00 . another place wanted 100 just to rebush , and another place wants 180.00 just to rebush . thanks again , Jon

ok now im really confused. apparently it was only leaking because i flooded it . it also leaks from there when i sprayed it with carb cleaner . just started AND drove car HARD . no leaks . whats going on here ? is this just the beginning of the shaft bushing wearing out ? what do you think ? thanks again

If the carb is flooding the needle and seat may have trash in it, the floats may also have taken on fuel or they are just out of adjustment. It's not abnormal to have some leakage at the throttle linkage bores especially on a 30+ year old carb. Get a kit, rebuild it and check the floats to see if they have gas in them, they should be brass on that carb. Don't forget to change the oil and filter as the crankcase may have a good amount of gasoline in it and gas doesn't lubricate very well at all.

If you have it in the budget, go ahead and take it and get it rebushed and rebuilt. Sounds like your throttle shaft/bushing area is very worn, not just a little worn. A little wear in this area won't allow pooling liquid leaks when the carburetor floods or you spray carb cleaner in it. The repair will pay for itself in improved fuel economy alone very quickly with $4 gasoline.

-
Back