help id a 4 speed

-
some reason nobody can tell me bout this transmission?? is it standard 4 speed or over drive?? is there a different number i need to find or ???

there should be more number then that. PP = New process plant, 833 = trans type, 590x short a number this is the assembly date, then 4 more numbers are the built on that date.
There are also additional numbers (partial vin) above the ones posted such as 8Bxxxxxx,

this should cover all possible dates - It is likely an Overdrive 4-spd
Day 5900 is Thursday, September 22, 1977
Day 5909 is Saturday, October 1, 1977

the numbers on it are pp833590 in a 80 pickup behind a slant 6 but doubt its original

there should be more number then that. PP = New process plant, 833 = trans type, 590x short a number this is the assembly date, then 4 more numbers are the built on that date.
There are also additional numbers (partial vin) above the ones posted such as 8Bxxxxxx,

this should cover all possible dates - It is likely an Overdrive 4-spd
Day 5900 is Thursday, September 22, 1977
Day 5909 is Saturday, October 1, 1977

thanks for helping me out,...should these other numbers be in same place or some where else on trans,..pretty sure its aluminum

Look, man, I don't "count" on "numbers." All they are is "something stamped on a case" an EMPTY case. It's just too damned easy to fill that bucket with different parts.

So determine for yourself "what it is."

What does it have for a tail housing? Long or short? If it's a long case, does it have just one forward shifter mount, or two? The latter would be a later E/B body tail, somewhat desirable. Hey, ya jus' nevah know!!

OD vs 4 speed. Easy. If it's set up with a shifter, an OD has the front shift lever pointing down. If there is a question, do this:

Get the gearbox in neutral. Rotate the front shift shaft CLOCKwise, which puts the box into 3rd gear (4 speed) or OD if that's what it is

Now rotate the front (input) shaft exactly one turn, while watching the output shaft. If it turns LESS than 1 full turn, it's a "straight" 4 speed. If it turns MORE than one turn, it's an OD box.

Did you look at the link I posted? That links to a bunch of 'how to ID your A833' pages

Did you look at the link I posted? That links to a bunch of 'how to ID your A833' pages

yeah,.i actually googled all that before i came on here,.didnt find anything that i felt would be as correct as info from yall folks on here,..know yall got all that mopar knowledge,..most my skills fall on the chevy side of life,..most my mopars just needed driving,..dang chevy gotta be worked on to keep alive! really just trying to decide if i wanta leave this 4 speed in this truck or put it in a duster im fixing to build as a play toy,..thanks for the google link tho'

Look, man, I don't "count" on "numbers." All they are is "something stamped on a case" an EMPTY case. It's just too damned easy to fill that bucket with different parts.

So determine for yourself "what it is."

What does it have for a tail housing? Long or short? If it's a long case, does it have just one forward shifter mount, or two? The latter would be a later E/B body tail, somewhat desirable. Hey, ya jus' nevah know!!

OD vs 4 speed. Easy. If it's set up with a shifter, an OD has the front shift lever pointing down. If there is a question, do this:

Get the gearbox in neutral. Rotate the front shift shaft CLOCKwise, which puts the box into 3rd gear (4 speed) or OD if that's what it is

Now rotate the front (input) shaft exactly one turn, while watching the output shaft. If it turns LESS than 1 full turn, it's a "straight" 4 speed. If it turns MORE than one turn, it's an OD box.

this is the type info im needing,..mopar for dummys!! ill take your info an climb under truck in a few! thanks!

-
Back