Help identify please: power or manual gearbox?

-
Good you got the Saginaw pump. It is supposed to be a little better (more efficient) than the Federal pump. I think they used it exclusively on the FMJ cars (Aspen, Volare). I bought a Federal pump before I knew that.

I am switching to ATF+4 for p.s. in all my cars, including the Mercedes. Chrysler has used it since 2005 and has a TSB recommending switching to it in earlier cars (like my 2002 T&C) when doing major work on the p.s. It is supposed to eliminate "cold chatter" in some pumps. They do warn to get all the old amber fluid out first, but could just be the lawyer's input, in case there is some mystical chemical reaction. I just sucked as much fluid out as I could and flushed 1/2 qt thru in my 1984 M-B recently when I had to change the h.p. hose.

I am switching to ATF+4 for p.s. in all my cars, including the Mercedes. Chrysler has used it since 2005 and has a TSB recommending switching to it in earlier cars (like my 2002 T&C) when doing major work on the p.s. It is supposed to eliminate "cold chatter" in some pumps. They do warn to get all the old amber fluid out first, but could just be the lawyer's input, in case there is some mystical chemical reaction. I just sucked as much fluid out as I could and flushed 1/2 qt thru in my 84 M-B recently when I had to change the h.p. hose.

Do you know how many times the "kids" working at the 10 min oil change mixed the two different ones without realizing it.... It happens...

I modified my saginaw pump like the link OCDart posted above. It firmed up the steering a bit.... real easy to do and play with to get whatever amount of assist you want.

Good you got the Saginaw pump. It is supposed to be a little better (more efficient) than the Federal pump. I think they used it exclusively on the FMJ cars (Aspen, Volare). I bought a Federal pump before I knew that.

I am switching to ATF+4 for p.s. in all my cars, including the Mercedes. Chrysler has used it since 2005 and has a TSB recommending switching to it in earlier cars (like my 2002 T&C) when doing major work on the p.s. It is supposed to eliminate "cold chatter" in some pumps. They do warn to get all the old amber fluid out first, but could just be the lawyer's input, in case there is some mystical chemical reaction. I just sucked as much fluid out as I could and flushed 1/2 qt thru in my 1984 M-B recently when I had to change the h.p. hose.

Yup! I found the Saginaw. Actually, I found a bunch of them!

I modified my saginaw pump like the link OCDart posted above. It firmed up the steering a bit.... real easy to do and play with to get whatever amount of assist you want.

Now that I know that it works, I may do the modification after I rebuild my suspension and get new wheels/tires. I think that's when I'll feel the difference.

Back in the day, Type A Suffix A ATF was the juice of choice in a power steering unit. By 1972, Mopar had changed its tune to recommend using Power Steering Fluid claiming it was less harmful to rubber hoses. It looks suspiciously like DOT3 brake fluid but it isn't.

-
Back