Help Identifying Duster Rear End

-

KEVIN LANGFORD

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been on the search for months for info on what rearend I have in my 71 Duster. Has 340 and is originally a V8 car. Looking to upgrade gears. I daily drive it and do car shows. planning to run it next season in a few club races. I think I'm close but wanted your professional opinion. I'm fairly handy and know a few people that I could do the work with and learn something new.
Thanks for the help!
Images attached.

20180123_070402.jpg

20180127_082956.jpg

20180127_083205.jpg

20180127_083739.jpg

8.25, pop the cover to see if it's a sure-grip. Upgrade would be an 8.75. Depending on your build the 8.25 would work. 65'

that a 7 1/4
are you sure yours car is a factory 340 ?

how bout some pictures of the whole car?

rearspotter.jpg

gotcha

good looking car

did you get a chance to look at the chart i posted?
it seems to me, you got a 7 1/4 rear end in there, easiest way to tell is count the bolts on the cover

gotcha

good looking car

did you get a chance to look at the chart i posted?
it seems to me, you got a 7 1/4 rear end in there, easiest way to tell is count the bolts on the cover
if that's the case I'll probably buy a full rearend to install.. make a roadtrip as Denverr has no old car yards anymore lol!

be patient and they show up for decent prices from time to time
i bought my 8 3/4 for 300 about 3 years ago, but that was an open differential

if you're doing racing, i would go with a sure grip

or, if you are so inclined, get a ford 8.8 rear end, chop down the long axletube to fit a short axle and go with that
but, i think you are running small bolt pattern, so you would have to address that

I was stationed at Lowery AFB 50 years ago with my 55 Chevy, 3 speed stick and 265. I used to buy parts at Aurora Auto parts, which I would assume be gone by now. I remember a real big Junk yard outside of Denver and I thought it was on Colfax. I was impressed with Denver back then because it was the beginning of the disco era, not true musically, but where everyone was going to dance. I even went to the USO downtown a few times. I also worked at Lakeland Amusement park on the weekends. I just didn't like the Coors 3.2 Beer.

Yup, that's a 7.250. Run it till it breaks. If this is a street car, it may hold up much longer than you expect. Nice beard, btw. I usually grow a full one during the cold months, but I don't think I am this year.

-
Back