Help leak between intake and exhaust

-

Diego-ted

Reaction score
Manifolds, have had them apart twice and still leaking!! What am I doing wrong?

thx tEd

It's your first post so I will give you a big welcome.

Post more info please. What engine? Where is the leak? Is the intake leaking? The exhaust manifold? Both?

I really don't understand where the problem is.

Order the Remflex gaskets , they are $25.00 but they work the first time !! The stock gaskets just do not work .

I'll more than likely get flamed but this works..... get a new set of gaskets, use the high temp RTV on the gaskets, torque to specs, clean around mating surfaces so no one will make fun of you. I've seen this done and it works.... works on leaky headers also. Don't need to whole lot.

Ok, sorry, I was a member before but my account went poof!! It's a 225 and the leak is where the two manifold bolt togeather under the carb between the tin gasket. I have no leak at the head. The metal gasket is very thin, doesent someone make a reguluar composet gasket?

thx Ted

Ok, sorry, I was a member before but my account went poof!! It's a 225 and the leak is where the two manifold bolt togeather under the carb between the tin gasket. I have no leak at the head. The metal gasket is very thin, doesent someone make a reguluar composet gasket?

thx Ted

stack 2 metal gaskets.

are you bolting the exh/int together 1st, then bolting to the head flange?
thats the way to do it, right at least.

if the flanges don't line up, it's cause they are warped.
I think for a whle most people used a metal/paper gasket, this had diff thickness for int/exh, helps warp the already warp prone thin iron.

Thx guys! did a search and found out this is a common problem and there is a company in Oz that makes a good gasket. I ordered a couple.

Ted

Didn't some Mopars come with no gasket between the exhaust and head?

I'll more than likely get flamed but this works..... get a new set of gaskets, use the high temp RTV on the gaskets, torque to specs, clean around mating surfaces so no one will make fun of you. I've seen this done and it works.... works on leaky headers also. Don't need to whole lot.

They'll have to flame us both! :) The copper RTV works wonders ( it slices, it dices, it makes julienne fries ) , it'll even seal up with the lame-o fel-pro cardboard gaskets. Heck, I've seen that stuff seal up waste gates with NO gaskets...not on my car but I've seen it :lol:

-
Back