HELP!!! loosing power to everything

-

Dart360Custom

Reaction score
except the starter selonoid but power inside the car and ignition is off sometimes it will run fine then cut off others its dead any ideas guys i need to get this fixed quick :wack: btw it is my 69 dart

Do you still have the original wiring running through the factory ammeter? If so, that's one of the first places to start checking. Also, the firewall wiring connectors are a good second choice for problems of this nature. The big red wire in the upper right corner of the one firewall connector often burns out the connector inside the plastic housing so you really can't see it until you seperate the two halves. The main reason for this can often be related back to the original ammeter wiring.
I had much the same problem with my 66 for a while until I finally bypassed the ammeter then fixed the burned out connection in the bulkhead connector.
A couple of other causes could be a bad ignition switch ,or a faulty neutral safety switch on your transmission. Good luck.

I recently relieved some stress off of my ammeter in my Duster by running another wire from the battery post on my alternator to my battery. This isn't totally bypassing the ammeter, but it is greatly reducing the amount of current going through the ammeter, as the majority now flows through the new 10 gauge wire. obviously, my gauge now reads discharged most of the time, but I will install a voltmeter sooner or later. I ran a test and the battery is still getting fully charged. Another way is to run a wire from the alternator to the battery side of the starter relay. Use the appropriate gauge wire for the alternator's output and run it with the appropriate gauge fusible link. This also doesn't completely bypass the ammeter, but also relieves current flow through it. A more thourough way to completely bypass it is described elsewhere on this site or at a site noted as www.madelectric.com. He seems to bash Pentastars, but it is another possibilty if this is or isn't the problem with your Dart. Good Luck.

OldVart said:
Do you still have the original wiring running through the factory ammeter? If so, that's one of the first places to start checking. Also, the firewall wiring connectors are a good second choice for problems of this nature. The big red wire in the upper right corner of the one firewall connector often burns out the connector inside the plastic housing so you really can't see it until you seperate the two halves. The main reason for this can often be related back to the original ammeter wiring.
I had much the same problem with my 66 for a while until I finally bypassed the ammeter then fixed the burned out connection in the bulkhead connector.
A couple of other causes could be a bad ignition switch ,or a faulty neutral safety switch on your transmission. Good luck.

It was the heavy wire running to the ammeter someone done a poor job of replacing it before and used a crimp connector and the wire was corroded. Thanks for all the help guys

-
Back