HELP!!! Lost shock nut & bushing!!!!

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
I heard a clunk in the rear while cruising today. When I got home I noticed that the rear ride height was low. I tried to add air but no movement. Check air lines, OK....checked driver side shock and 'holy $hitz' it was off the upper body mount. The mounitng nut and 'shock eye bushing' were missing. They are Gabriel Hi-Jacker air shocks. Question is what size is the 'eye bushing' and mounting nut? Anyone know who has them?

Thx, ZooKypr

I don't know what size they are but you can use the nut and bushing from the passenger side as reference.

That would be the common sense thing to do BUT....I loaned my floor jack to my buddy and I'm too big to crawl underneath. I didn't think I could "stump the pros" with these two question. Someone hear knows the answers or I guess she'll have to sit idle til I get my jack back after Carlisle.

ZooKypr

Hey Zoo, the pros dont always excell in mind reading but i'm gona take a guess at it that the car in question is the one in your avatar. You failed to give any info on the car or model. I have that style of car in the field but not sure what car we're dealing with.
From a Pro
Small Block

oh, and in a pinch you can use a jack from another car. Do you have any family members with cars? If so borrow the jack from one of their cars.

My apologies for coming if I came off like a wise *** fellas...that was not my intention ....I was agreeing with you when I said it would be common sense.....Its been a rough couple of weeks for me and I thought I'd lightin' the mood a bit but I'll keep it straight forward.
1. Car - '66 Barracuda Formula S - Gabriel Hi Jacker Shocks
2. no family within 20 miles, none of them have floor jacks anyway
3. the couple of car buddies I have are very busy this holiday weekend
4. wouldn't dare put my ride on scissor jack stands from my other two cars
So I just took a ride over to my friend's house and retrieved my jack since he got his car up on floor stands. Removed strut...found extra lug nuts @ Lowes, got the shock bushing from Pep Boys but the convexed washer is a tough one, no one had it...bought a flat washer that is the same size.
Now the problem is getting the bushing in the shock 'eye'. I lubed it and tried a vice to no avail. I'll have to sleep on it and come up with an idea tomorrow.
What is very curious is the remaining 3 nuts were only a hand tight. The shocks were installed 8 years ago & roughly 6000 miles. Did they work themselves free over time with my 'body twisting' 273 - 300hp...lololol?

ZooKypr

UPDATE....I did some 'surfing' and read where one person used a hose clamp. So what the heck let me give it a try and "tah dah" she went in with some effort.
First, place the shock extension in a bench vise.
Second, lube the bushing end then place a small hose clamp and compress it the within 1/16" from the edge.
Third, insert to eye opening and sndwich your hands around the bushing and eye socket.
Fourth, yell for wife to come into the garage and have her very very slowly unscrew the clamp as you sandwich them together.
Fifth, when its inside about 1/8" use hammer and whack it in.
PRESTO! bushing in eye socket.
Hope this helps the next novice like me who's in a pinch.

ZooKypr

-
Back