Help me build a driveshaft

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
So out of the 5 drive shafts I have, none will work with my combo. The combo is:

68 Valiant, 273 Engine (5.9 Magnum will replace 273 in a year or two) 833 O/D trans, 8.75 rear end.

Since i don't have anything that fits I figure I can build whatever I want. Eventually this car will be about 400 horse so I want to build with that in mind.

All the existing shafts have 7260 sized joints on them. I imagine I should use 7290 or something stronger for 400 horse? Any advantage to one of the Spicer sizes?

I do have a length of 3.25 inch tube (has 7260 ends on it now) that should be long enough. I don't know the wall thickness though. The local driveshaft shop made it up for me so maybe they would know.

Anyhow, with these parameters in mind what would you build?

Thanks,

CE

Just figure out the length and get 1350 yokes for it and be done with it. Damn all that little stuff.

Oh and what diameter tube would you all use, in which wall thickness?

And why did the factory neck down the tubing in the ends?

Just figure out the length and get 1350 yokes for it and be done with it. Damn all that little stuff.

I was thinking about the 1350's, but it seems that a 26 spline, 1350 yoke is pretty hard to find. Denny's has them for $205, which is a bit salty for me.

I'll keep looking. Maybe there is a cheaper one out there. It'd be cool to do a 1350, but if that is the cheapest yoke I can find I'll probably go 7290.

Thank you,

I paid $180 for a 7290 yoke on the spare rear end I had built. But it had aftermarket gears.
Build what ever matches the 8.75 you have, keep in mind you don't want to change the yoke on a 8.75 with out checking the pre-load on the gears, so more $$$ if you can't do that yourself.

-
Back