help me decide what route to take

-

dusterbd13

Reaction score
my fuel pump on the 1970 duster crapped out on me. Ive had it since i built the car in 06, so it doesn't owe me anything. especially since it was the summit special.

that leaves me open to some debate, though. what would you do:

the car is a mild 360. 750 edelbrock, 400HP at the wheels. primarily a cruiser, but i enjoy running it hard and plan to make some auto-crosses next year.

current fuel system: stock 5/16 line and pickup, dead summit mechanical pump.

never really had any noticeable fuel starvation problems until the pump started going to hell.

options:
1. replace with another mechanical fuel pump. I'm thinking another summit. they're cheap and fairly reliable.
2. upgrade to a carter high volume pump and a regulator.
3. (this one would be the most expensive, and the most difficult) upgrade to 3/8 stainless pickup and lines. holly blue pump and regulator.

the car is already wired for an electric pump, but after plumbing a fuel system on a 440 six pack new yorker today, using hand bent 3/8 stainless lines, and a Holley blue and regulator, I'm not sure i want to go this route. if i do, id buy the pre-bent stuff from classic tube. but where would i place the pump? I'm not seeing a whole lot of extra room under there for a pump the size of a Holley blue, but cant find a lower profile, reasonably priced pump and regulator combo.

anyway, what would you recommend? am i missing an option?

goal is dependable, quiet, sufficient, and budget friendly fuel system. id like to keep the whole deal under or around $250. also has to be a very neat, and clean way of doing it. the whole car has a very stock vibe, but that's slowly morphing to more of a vintage style PT var.

thanks
Michael

I would go with the 3/8 line and maybe look for some type of pump that is more of an inline style. {kind of like the kind found on late 80's ford vans} These types are fit more easily along framerails and such. pump would be best placed as close to the gas tank as possible and as low as possible. Maybe find one that puts out 15 psi and regulate it down for carb use. Although, if what you had worked good in the past, why change it.
Still, 5/16 line is marginal at best for any type of performance engine.

thanks for th compliment. its in for some changes in the near future. i was getting bored with it, and it was no fun to drive. ill start a build thread here in a couple of days.

anyway, i got a screaming deal on a holley blue. my current plan is to run that and the regulator, retaining the 5/16 line and pickup. if i do go nitrous/blower/EFI, ill upgrade the line size.

anyone have any reccomendations on mounting this big ol pump? i know what im doing with the regulator if it will fit, so im good there.

michael

-
Back