help me decode my 3rd gen hemi

-

1qwikScamp

Reaction score
i need help figuring out what year my new hemi is the code on the valve cover is TNXE6218210003 then it has a larger print 332 with a CA under that i will try to get a pic up

If they are aluminum they are 03-05. Single coil with a wire coming off of it? Check the drivers side mounting bracket holes where the motor mount would bolt to the block. If there is a 5th hole about an inch forward its an 04-05 motor.

Its also a California emissions motor. Might be lower compression or it has an egr on a 2003 motor.

john just about nailed it. With the exception of egr and compression. Compressionn was the same for a ca motor vs the others. And egr is not required on 2500 and 3500 motors. But all 04 and 05 1500 had egr. The 03 did not.

honestly all you need to know is a few things
1 car or truck motor
2 03-05 or 06-08 (determines non mds vs mds)

as any non mds pcm will run any 03-05 motor and the mds pcm will run the 06-08. Then there is the car vs truck and you will need the matching pcm there too. Of the truck pcm's the best are 05 then 04 and avoid the 03. Because of tuning options via diablo. If you plan a stock motor swap then pcm choice does not matter. But if you plan on cam heads stroker or boost it becomes more critical. The cavat to this is if you plan on not using the truck trans. Then the 04 and 05 pcm's are equal. Since the diablo engine tuning is the same the 05 added in trans control for the 05 and up. When it comes to the car pcm I have no clue what one is best.

john just about nailed it. With the exception of egr and compression. Compressionn was the same for a ca motor vs the others. And egr is not required on 2500 and 3500 motors. But all 04 and 05 1500 had egr. The 03 did not.

honestly all you need to know is a few things
1 car or truck motor
2 03-05 or 06-08 (determines non mds vs mds)

as any non mds pcm will run any 03-05 motor and the mds pcm will run the 06-08. Then there is the car vs truck and you will need the matching pcm there too. Of the truck pcm's the best are 05 then 04 and avoid the 03. Because of tuning options via diablo. If you plan a stock motor swap then pcm choice does not matter. But if you plan on cam heads stroker or boost it becomes more critical. The cavat to this is if you plan on not using the truck trans. Then the 04 and 05 pcm's are equal. Since the diablo engine tuning is the same the 05 added in trans control for the 05 and up. When it comes to the car pcm I have no clue what one is best.

When talking MDS, cars had it in 05, trucks in 06 (not sure about earlier cars.)

its out of a truck i am planning on putting it in my 71 twister duster with the msd hemi 6 controller and a carb what else do i need to look for that i will need to know when ordering parts for this engine. also i am needing a good crank for it i really would rather a 6.1 crank because they are forged but im open to any good deals

for a 6.1 crank talk to stu at inertia. He ocassionally has some that have been removed for stroker motors. So you could possibly find one there.

tincup, as far as I know the 05 was the first year of the cars. And if they were mds (i don't know for sure, as I am not as familier with the cars as I am with the trucks) that means any car pcm would run it.

-
Back