Help me identify my spindle

-

killnine

Reaction score
So I bought drum brake spindles off someone on ebay so I could upgrade my 9" to 10" spindles, and use the SSBC brake kit. The add was for spindles for 10 or 11" brakes, 1967-72 Duster, etc. I go to put the kit on today and put the new spindles on, and everything looks the same. The nut fits on it, the spindle looks the same, and I can put 1/2" bolts through the bottom two holes (I thought you had to upgrade to 10" spindle to even use 1/2" bolts with the lower ball joint). My drum was a 9" drum, so I'm pretty sure the spindle I took off would have been a 9" spindle. What is the difference here? How can I tell which is which? Did the guy on ebay rip me off, or have I been running a 10" spindle with my 9" drum and 9" drum bearings? The funny thing is, the SSBC brake kit, w-153, the spindle nut is WAY too big for either of my spindles, and never mind that they forgot to send me the calipers, pads, or the bolts. Man I'm getting sick of things like this. Help! I can measure something with digital calipers if I need to.

Easy way to tell them apart that can't be disguised. Look at the back of the spindle. If the spindle looks pretty much straight from top to bottom and the top ball joint boss is in line with the axle spud, it is a 10" brake spindle. If it looks like the spindle has a dogleg in it and the top ball joint boss is off to one side of the axle spud, it is a 9" brake spindle...

The above would be true "IF" the seller sold you spindles for a 1972 back A-body but the seller sold you something that he said also used 11" brakes so I won't go out on a limb and say what you have until I can say with certainty. Hemi71x is a brake guru and I have learned a bunch from him and with his comment, it appears he thinks like I do.

The above would be true "IF" the seller sold you spindles for a 1972 back A-body but the seller sold you something that he said also used 11" brakes so I won't go out on a limb and say what you have until I can say with certainty. Hemi71x is a brake guru and I have learned a bunch from him and with his comment, it appears he thinks like I do.

A bodies never had 11" drum brakes, Period. They had 9" and 10" drums and Kelsey-Hayes discs up until 1972. From '73-'76 they had the same drum choices but the discs were 10.87" slider caliper units. Here's my thinking. We have a frustrated member who may or may not give up the hobby based on answers he may or may not get here. He already knows that he has 9" drums on his car and needs 10" drum spindles to use the disc brake kit he has chosen, so he gets a lot more credit in my eyes than a dipstick ebag seller that obviously doesn't know what he is selling and only cares about the money. I'm sorry that my attempt to provide an answer caused your panties to get in a wad because I did not observe the proprieties and stand by and wring my hands and gnash my teeth and ask more questions until a frustrated member abandoned all hope because every time he asked something, more information was needed so the gurus could pick one from column A and emerge with their reputations untarnished. I have a simple rule of thumb when it comes to questions. Answer it or say "I don't know" and stay out of it. You may want to consider doing likewise Oklacarcollecto because your sniping is starting to really get on my nerves...

Thanks guys. The straight up and down ball joint arm is a dead give away. He sent me a 9" spindle, and made claims on ebay that make no sense. I've already contacted him for a return. Another member is sending me real ones right away. Sorry I didn't send pics to clear things up, I was out packing up my ssbc kit to send back to amazon. They are sending me a replacement for that because they only sent me half the kit. What a week.

A bodies never had 11" drum brakes, Period. They had 9" and 10" drums and Kelsey-Hayes discs up until 1972. From '73-'76 they had the same drum choices but the discs were 10.87" slider caliper units. Here's my thinking. We have a frustrated member who may or may not give up the hobby based on answers he may or may not get here. He already knows that he has 9" drums on his car and needs 10" drum spindles to use the disc brake kit he has chosen, so he gets a lot more credit in my eyes than a dipstick ebag seller that obviously doesn't know what he is selling and only cares about the money. I'm sorry that my attempt to provide an answer caused your panties to get in a wad because I did not observe the proprieties and stand by and wring my hands and gnash my teeth and ask more questions until a frustrated member abandoned all hope because every time he asked something, more information was needed so the gurus could pick one from column A and emerge with their reputations untarnished. I have a simple rule of thumb when it comes to questions. Answer it or say "I don't know" and stay out of it. You may want to consider doing likewise Oklacarcollecto because your sniping is starting to really get on my nerves...

Did you miss this part in my first post? "There was never 11" brakes used on our A-bodies from MaMopar." As I said the seller stated that it fit 10" or 11" so I wouldn't make an assumption until I knew the facts of what the seller had sent. I make it a practice to know the facts before saying anything. I have seen too many people get screwed up by people jumping to conclusions and saying things that were not facts.

The thing that is most likely to cause frustration in the hobby is getting wrong information and buying parts based off of it. I have bought quite a few cars because people were told wrong, they spent their money, ended up with components that wouldn't work so they got discouraged and sold the car. As a matter of fact, I bought two last week because of it.

I believe 9" brakes were discontinued with the 1973 models and 10" or disc were the only options left.

I strive for as accurate of an answer as I can give so I ask questions to make sure that I am going to give the correct information instead of giving wrong information. If that bothers you deal with it because that is the way I roll and always have.

You choose to continue your little nitpicking because you had to send me a pm whining and crying about being butthurt when I disagreed with you over using the wrong brake drums that won't center on the register and is much wider than the shoes or you can be a man and move on. If you can't man up try using the ignore button.

-
Back