help me pick cam re-grind for magnum 360

-
The hughes retainers locks and springs are what I have on Frankenteen. They set right up with no sweat.

That's incorrect. A friend and I have had several regrinds done by Oregon. They reground a factory hyd roller for him and got it to 108. Still had plenty of meat left. Remember, a good cam grinder can put that lobe anywhere in relation to the cam core he wants.

Let me clarify somewhat. There are TWO different cores for the Magnum engine. Now I forget which is which. There's the 318 and 360 core. One has a 109 factotry LSA and the other a 113. But still, it was the 113 that they were able to get to 108, so there's room to move them if you find a good grinder.
Not many cam grinders would do this. I'd guess that Oregon swapped your 113-114 core for a 110 core to get you there. Changing the LSA more than a degree or 2(at most) on a cast core is NOT something a good cam grinder would consider reasonable if you want a cam that will live.

Gold member,seen the lobe center tweak,more t
han once A good grinder,can do it.

I deal with company's that grind cams that win races and live,not someone that tries to copy what a real cam guy can do. You will not catch a real cam company changing the LSA of a cast(or even a billet ) core very much as the heat treat depth is important if you want a cam that will live. Funny thing is I've seen plenty of stock magnum cams with the heat treated surface flaking off(Not as often as GM hyd rollers) but still should make a guy think about things,if that's an option.

Not looking, for a sales pitch. You and I know better..... C'mon,this not Moparts...

I'm not selling anything,just trying to make sure and stay basic as I don't want to mislead with info that is a mile out. Grind them stock cams to dust,I'm just standing around watching.LOL I've ask several Cam guys to come to the net and help newbs with tech info. They all fell out of their chairs and rolled on the floor claiming they couldn't help. Guess it's true. Yes, I have friends that design lobes,some that spec them for combo's,some that grind them. just the way it is. They will NOT change the LSA on any cam as much as the OP states and yes I've begged them,I guess they did not want me to go on the net and tell the world about the junk they ground for me? I dunno but they have ground MANY cams for me and my customers and I'd bet that if they felt good about a regrind with major LSA changes they would take my $$$ and move on? Whats your theory? I'd love to hear it.

Harold Brookshire ,himself: 1 to 3 lobe centerlobe seperaration possible,on a re grind. (Hyd roller). A post,off of Speedtalk Get your facts straight....

Harold Brookshire ,himself: 1 to 3 lobe centerlobe seperaration possible,on a re grind. (Hyd roller). A post,off of Speedtalk Get your facts straight....
Yep,I know Harold very well have spent hours with him in the UD days. I can assure you the 114lsa cams are not getting moved to 110 as the OP stated,if a grinder WOULD do so I'd run. You think the same rules apply to a Billet cam core as a cast core? LOL Even a Billet core has limitations and we aren't talking about anything other than a factory cast core. Thanks for helping me understand. Kinda find it funny a guy tries to quote someone that I've known in person for 25yrs. Too funny.

Not many cam grinders would do this. I'd guess that Oregon swapped your 113-114 core for a 110 core to get you there. Changing the LSA more than a degree or 2(at most) on a cast core is NOT something a good cam grinder would consider reasonable if you want a cam that will live.

No it was the same core. We marked them all. There are only two magnum cores. 113 and 109. We only sent one magnum core. A 113. It came back a 108 just like I said.

So you've worked with Harold? What's your name again? I'll ask next time I talk to him.

No it was the same core. We marked them all. There are only two magnum cores. 113 and 109. We only sent one magnum core. A 113. It came back a 108 just like I said.

So you've worked with Harold? What's your name again? I'll ask next time I talk to him.
Actually the stock cores vary but 114and 110 are the norm. I know where a pallet load are waiting to be ground for a major mopar performance parts supplier. Yep,I grew up in the Memphis area and know Harold having spent time with him in the UD time period. I cannot get any cam company to do what you had done to a cast core(WONDER WHY?), I bet they wouldn't go that far with a billet core either LOL

Dont know and I'm not arguing about it. Just telling you what we had done. Will it map like they say they ground it? Your guess is as good as mine. We're gonna find out.

Mind WAS ground,on a new CAST blank. Oliver Reed,Spoke of this,at Crower. Dealt with him,20+ years.

Dont know and I'm not arguing about it. Just telling you what we had done. Will it map like they say they ground it? Your guess is as good as mine. We're gonna find out.
I do many of these deals a year and I trust guys like Harold and Tim if they will not regrind with a LSA change of more the 2 degrees(maybe 3 on a billet core) I trust that 5-6 degrees's is not going to be something that I'd be safe with in the long run. I did have a few factory cores checked on the campro? a few days ago and they were both 111.5 and 112 although the factory thinks they are 110 and 114 so I'd think that if your guy found the actual lsa was 111ish and they ground it 108 ish you'd likely be safe but 114 to 108 seems pretty shakey to me,you do understand that an LSA change requires grinding extra material from one side of both intake and exhaust lobes along with the lobe change. The issue is also that although the cams are heat treated before the initial grind the crust layer is only so deep and not always uniform,so any tweaks come with risk. Then you have to run much stronger valve springs to complicate things. hope things work out and figure they will.

-
Back