Help mini tub back spacing Question

-

HAUK67

Reaction score
I have a 71 demon with a 3" mini tub and wanta order new rims and tires...I was told by the previous owner i would need to go with a 3.5 " back spacing but very hard to find a rear wheel with that spacing....Anyone running a 4.5" and would this work on my car? Thanks for any input

Best thing to do is take both rear tires off, put axle on jack stands at ride height and drop a pulmbob.

If the axle is a length different that a stock a-body, which it sounds like, you have to measure.

Here's a good link for measuring procedure:
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/wheelspacing.shtml

You could use the current wheel as a baseline. If you are going to a smaller section width tire, it will work ok.

You really need to measure before ordering wheels......it's really easy on the rear.

It really depends on how wide of a wheel/tire you are going with and the width of your housing.....3.5" backspacing on how wide of a wheel/size of wheel??

rear wheels on the car now are 15x10 3.5 back spacing looking to put 15x10 4.5 back spacing?

The 4.5" BS will move the centerline of the rim towards the middle of car 1"

To get a correct and easily obtained measurement....... Saving you a hassle

1) Floor jack under center of rear, block frt wheels, Jack up.

2) Remove rear tires.

3) Using a piece of string with a weight on end (aka plumb bob)(lightweight fishing string works well with a splitshot or 2) Measure from 3 places, Drop the string from; inside the outer wheel lip, the face of the drum and the inner wheelwhell. mark all 3 spots with chaulk on the ground and get your measurements for width.

Eric

I will try that this weekend....Thanks

-
Back