HELP..Mopar Perfomance ECU No spark

-

freshayr

Reaction score
OK, I am at wits end here. I have installed the Mopar performance ECU (the orange box) andI can't get spark. My engine was recently dynoed and the distributor hasn't been touoched since then. When they dynoed it they used there own coil. I have read the instruction numerous time so I am sure I have it hooked up right. I get no spark out of the coil. I have tried the old coil and a new coil (external resisitor type) I read the troubleshooting section and ran a separate wire to ground the ecu box. I have 12.5 volts at the battery and 11.5 volts at the ballast resister. All new plugs and wires and like I said, it ran on the dyno. anybody got any suggestions? I don't know where to go from here. Are those ECU boxes ever bad from the factory. I know you should go there first but I am lost.
thanks

When I installed the Electronic conversion on my car, the orange box that came with it wouldn't fire. I installed a used chrome box I had laying around and it fired right up. My guess is that you have the same problem. Try another box.

i called the mopar performance tech line. I told them everything I did.....they were saying you must have a bad box and then he said..."did you put the screw in the center of the harness"? I said what screw. He said put the screw in and it should fix it. I am going to try that in an hour or so....keep the fingers crossed.
The problem I have is although this is brand new, it was purchased in 1999 and the car has been in resto ever since. Bet I have a hard time getting it replaced.

i have ran mine from day 1 without the center screw and it works great

Make sure you have a good ground from the ecu to the firewall or inner fender.

update...the center screw means nothing....they just told me that to get me off the phone. After troubleshooting all afternoon I went and bought a new one. Put it on and it fired right up. Man I hate it when new parts don't work.

Want to spend some more money? I replaced my orange box with a Mallory digital 6 ignition box. Really cleans up the idle down low especially if you have a cam with a poor idle. but i guess that'll be in the future.

don

talk to me more about that. Do you have a part number? I got the engine to fire yesterday but it does have a terrible idle. I bought this engine just rebuilt from a friend and it has way more cam in it than I would have put in.

I've had terrible luck with ma Mopars orange boxes. Even when you get one that fires it's best watch the timing at high rpm and you'll see it pull back. A MSD 6A will replace the stock box easily and clean things up considerably. i.e. Smoother idle and more HP.

Oh yeah. I haven't used one but I've heard alot of good about the FBO system too and it's cheaper than a MSD.

do i use the same distributor or is it a complete set with new distributor?

Mopar Orange boxes are JUNK. My car was running 14.2's , after reading a post here on forabodiesonly about how the orange boxes retard the timing at high rpms I took a old rusty black box with me to the track one day.It was so shabby looking I was surprised it even worked. Plugged the black box in, without any other changes it hit the 13's.
13.8 -13 9 , just with that mod. Those orange boxes suck big time . I now have a MSD and they rock, starts awesome, do not have any timeslips yet, but I have changed the motor also so I can not really compare it, but it also has a built in rev limiter which has come in handy already! The electronic is way better than points but not as good as a MSD, JMO. fastback383.

new .020 over 400 gettin ready for next year.
img10752bi.jpg

my683835ge.jpg

-
Back