help my slant 6

-

dusterfanatic

The 340 Hammer
Reaction score
hey i want to put a good ol slant 6 in my 73 duster and i don't want it to sound soft and slow i want to give it that loud rough tough true american muscle sound and i know i can change the muffler but what size and i wanted to know if cherry bombs sound good on a slant 6 cuz there my fav but are there any good cams i should put on it how bout headers and intake please give some ideas

Thanks
Connor

Check out slantsix.org search Lou Special Its a .510 lift cam with 280/270 duration.Would have a nice little lump and sound really good from idle to 6k.

Clifford/Aussiespeed intake

350-600 CFM carb 2 or 4 bbl. your choice.

Hooker long tube headers(or some of the old clifford long tubes used)

Y pipe the outlets into a single 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 pipe.

If you like the sound of cherry bombs(glass paks?) then you will like it on the slant. I have a slant with a straight pipe to a cherry bomb dumped at the axle. Mellow idle,raunchy when you step on it,and a real dronewhen cruising at about 2,000-2200 RPM but not bad above that.

Manual steering,electric fan(less drag on the engine)

Port and polish the head and install oversized valves with bronze guides.Get some 340 valve springs.

4 speed with a 3.55-4.10 rear gear. The slant needs a lot of gear to help the long stroke wind:snakeman:

Sounds like a nice little screamer.

hey but with all this stuff is it still getting 30 miles to the gallon cuz i need good long lasting fuel in this economy

If you want 30 m.p.g then stay away from the cam/intake/carb I mentioned.

Instead:

Keep the headers and exhaust system except this time go with a 2" or 2 1/4" pipe max.

I would still go all out on the head.

Look into a cam built for low end torque

5 speed transmission

Drive like you have no balls...

Or you could build it like I mentioned before,and deal with the 15-20 m.p.g you would get in exchange for one bad little street slant...

my wife drives a 66 valiant with,a/6.basic mods include a super 6 intake/carb,a mild schnider cam, 256 dur.435 lift.a mallory dual point,and a single 2 1/4 exhaust with a walker turbo muffler.its by no means a 340 car,but it makes good torque,gets decent milage,and has a throaty sound.i dont recomend cherry bombs.for us the dual point works well ,but you would probably be better off with a more modern dist.

you can only prob put that on 318s 340s and 360 since they come with the same parts but not same block just simular block

do you have the car or engine yet?i read your other thread in which you were looking far a /6 duster.did you find one?either way the advice you got so far is pretty sound.work the cylinder head,rv type cam,2.25 exhaust.id stick with a 2bbl carb and maybe mill the head alittle to bring up compression.also the credibility of the name dusterfanatic has been seriously damaged after recent events.be honest and respectful,and others will do the same for you.good luck with your project.

no i have not bought the duster yet but i want a slant six for better mileged than the 340 but if you know of anyone selling a cheap one
thanks

no i have not bought the duster yet but i want a slant six for better mileged than the 340 but if you know of anyone selling a cheap one
thanks
i think your starting to get it a little.if you do not own a 73 duster you may want to edit your thread starter("i want to put a/six in my 73 duster")and if i may suggest removing "the 340 hammer",unless of course ,you drive a 340 car.but do what you want.this is jmo.just trying to spare you any more humiliation.good luck on your car hunt.if /when you get you car ill be glad to answer any questions i can.

oh no this is my dads accound he owns the 340 73 duster i just want to follow in his footsepts with better insurance rates and better gas miledge see his duster is 2.5 miles to the gallon and i want somwere around 20 miles to the gallon as my first car

20 mpg is possible with a properly set up 318.it is however easier with a 6.i had a 73 valiant with a mild 318.it could achieve 20 mpg highway,and had decent power.anyway find your car...and im sure people will point you in the right direction on setting it up.

-
Back