Help! Need info on 8 3/4 brakes

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
Hi,I have a 66 dart gt w/ 7 1/4 rear end. I bought an 8 3/4 housing w/ backing plates & axles and brake drums It is the small bolt pattern. I need all the parts for the brakes. ie, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, everything.. Is there somewhere I can buy a kit w/everything I need or am I going to have to buy piece by piece??? and if so, does anyone know where I can find the complete list of everything i need??? Thanking you in advance, John

Don't know of any complete kit, looks like piece by piece. Check w/NAPA or Advance, they had a pretty good selection for brake parts.

Don't know of any complete kit, looks like piece by piece. Check w/NAPA or Advance, they had a pretty good selection for brake parts.

I second Napa. I have always found my brake parts there. They have a small parts kit (exc. springs, adjusters, etc.) and then you can get the cylinders, shoes, separately as well. Good luck.

You will need a hardware kit does it have 9 inch or 10 inch drums??
that will cover both sides..
You can also get the adjuster set, which again covers both sides.
I think some like Raybestos make a "master" kit that has both of the above.
shoes
brake cylinders

It has 10" Brake Drums... I see that Year One sells a kit for B body 8 3/4.... is there a difference ??????????? thanks, John

I wouldn't go Year One unless you felt like spending the money. As those here have already said, take a look at your local auto parts places and start comparing prices.

As for a list of what you need:

wheel cylinders (2)
brake hardware kit
adjuster kit
shoes

It's been my experience that the kits will usually have enough parts to do both sides, but check with your parts guy.

(and get your drums checked by a trusted local shop and see if they are round or need to be cut a few thousandths.)

ROCKAUTO has what you need. Here are few part numbers These are for 10x2 1/2 brakes you can double check to make sure.

RAYBESTOS Part # H7129
MoreInfo.gif
{Professional Grade #H7038}
Rear; 10" Brakes
Front; 10" Brakes

RAYBESTOS Part # H1523
MoreInfo.gif
{Professional Grade}
Front; Right; Front Drum Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes; 10" Brakes
Rear; Right; Front Drum Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes; 10" Brakes (Only 2 Remaining)

RAYBESTOS Part # H1522
MoreInfo.gif
{Professional Grade #H15222}
Front; Left
Rear; Left; Front Drum Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes; 10" Brakes
Front; Left; Front Drum Brakes; Rear Drum Brakes; 10" Brakes

WAGNER Part # WC106315
MoreInfo.gif

Rear; 15/16" Bore

WAGNER Part # Z169R
MoreInfo.gif
{QuickStop}
Rear; 10 x 2-1/2" Brake
Front; Exc. H/D; Police; Taxi; Trailer Tow; 10 x 2-1/2" Brake
Front; 10 x 2-1/2" Brake

measure your drum width before you buy parts. if the brakes are original A body (which I assume they are since you said small bolt pattern) the shoes will be 1-3/4" IIRC. Some of the brake hardware will be different than the non A body 8-3/4 pieces, not just the shoes.
RockAuto should be a good source for most if not all of your needs.

You're probably going to have to find the arms that connect to the parking brake cables & the spreaders (don't know what else to call them) that fit across between the brake shoes used. Don't know of any suppliers of these parts new unless Mopar has them.

Just did this same job,Parts that could NOT be had at local part stores including NAPA are. E- BRAKE STRUT BAR bar goes front to rear connecting both shoes togather. E-BRAKE CABLE LEVER,connects cable to rear shoe. The oval washer retainer that holds the shoes on the pivot. And last are those little slotted dowels that fit between the shoe and the wheel cylinder piston. Slick

It has 10" Brake Drums... I see that Year One sells a kit for B body 8 3/4.... is there a difference ??????????? thanks, John

Do not use Year One for any standard replacement parts. You will simply be buying the same stuff you can get at your local auto parts store but paying a hell of a lot more.

Hi,I have a 66 dart gt w/ 7 1/4 rear end. I bought an 8 3/4 housing w/ backing plates & axles and brake drums It is the small bolt pattern. I need all the parts for the brakes. ie, shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, everything.. Is there somewhere I can buy a kit w/everything I need or am I going to have to buy piece by piece??? and if so, does anyone know where I can find the complete list of everything i need??? Thanking you in advance, John

If you have a SBP 8 3/4 factory A body rear, you have 10 X 1.75 rear brakes.

You can either search this website for parts info. on this factory rear and brakes or go to Moparts (www.moparts.com) for A body rear end and brake reference info.

I agree that you can buy the brake pieces from many sources, including your local NAPA. Also, you can try Doctor Diff on the Moparts website for all your 8 3/4 rear parts needs.

Google Doctor Diff for his website/email contact info.

-
Back