Help needed - ignition problems after instrument cluster work

-

Tuesday

Reaction score
Hey All - I took my instrument cluster out this weekend to replace the step down transformer, in the hope of getting the fuel, voltmeter and engine temp gauges firing again. I replaced the old transformer with a solid state one (but didn’t replace the little technical paper underneath it). When everything was back in, she fired up, we had power and ignition - bingo. BUT! 2nd time, we just have power and on turning the ignition I hear a low volume click on the radio speakers but get no ignition. Any ideas of the problem - is my daily driver and need to make a quick call on what to do or how to brief a mechanic.

Column shift? Did you drop the column to pull the cluster? Try grounding the NSS wire at the starter relay. Maybe the column shift linkage is off a bit now and
the tranny lever isn't quite in the right place and NSS isn't allowing juice through?

On a similar note, are you sure you reconnected all grounds? Especially column to dash (black jumper wire where column bolts to dash).

Column shift? Did you drop the column to pull the cluster? Try grounding the NSS wire at the starter relay. Maybe the column shift linkage is off a bit now and
the tranny lever isn't quite in the right place and NSS isn't allowing juice through?
Yep - I did and when I wired up and retested before tightening everything in fully place it was working. And it worked again once after everything was tightened into place and then the current scenario. But maybe something got shifted or loose again in that final tightening fit - it’s just that it fired up and on second asking - then nothing. I’m going to look at this tomorrow or have somebody look at it, as it’s bloody Ubers and trains to the office tomorrow morning, that isn’t ideal.

On a similar note, are you sure you reconnected all grounds? Especially column to dash (black jumper wire where column bolts to dash).
I think so - as my previous reply - maybe something got loose on the final all tightened back together part. The noise through the radio is weird too. But going to shuffle around a little tomorrow or when no work permits.

Just for ***** and giggles make sure it's in park. Open the door and push the car back with your leg and see if you can get any juice. Or as I originally suggested ground the NSS wire at the starter relay(to eliminate the NSS from the picture) and see if you get any juice. 73 has key in column. Make sure it's grounded.

Just for ***** and giggles make sure it's in park. Open the door and push the car back with your leg and see if you can get any juice. Or as I originally suggested ground the NSS wire at the starter relay(to eliminate the NSS from the picture) and see if you get any juice. 73 has key in column. Make sure it's grounded.
Will report back!

-
Back