Help Needed to ID this manual shifter

-

Plymouth Duster

Reaction score
Hey guys. Any idea what this shifter is from and if this trans hump is the correct 67-76 3/4 speed hump. I have an OEM one I cut out of a parts car years ago in storage waiting for a car but it’s buried and at another location and the pics I’ve seen online I can’t confirm.

Appreciate your help
Thanks
Jr.

6FE86276-EC91-45EF-AF98-86ED9CD6EAB9.jpeg

2BFBD238-20EB-4B24-8744-99A28485BBB7.jpeg

ED704FAD-C51A-450C-80D3-AA8A9926300A.jpeg

That's an overdrive shifter, for sure. The O.D. four speed trucks used those, too. They work fine with a regular four speed, too, though.

Last edited:
They are essentially the same as the Hurst Competition Plus.

Late A body hump, looks like an overdrive shifter.
Thanks professor. Is this hump the same as would be in 70-72 duster stick car or any a bodies. (essentially 67-76 I believe). I have one OEM cutout of a parts car but can’t get to in till a few days. Wanted do know if I can use this hump in a 4 speed swap down the road on a 70-72 duster.
Thanks for responding

They are essentially the same as the Hurst Competition Plus.
Rusty. I assume this is out of a 833 OD. It’s supposed to be from a duster as demons were gone in 73 but maybe a feather duster, scamp or something similar like darts after the gas crunch.
So this shifter has the same shape and will work with an A body 833 non OD and OD trans?
Would you put a value of $50? The chrome is gone but if I use it will be as is or probably paint it in a beater knock around stick conversion duster or a ratty survivor looking car. Got a OEM restoration I’m starting on a 72 Duster 340 car and need something running to keep me motivated and to blow off steam for the next several years till the 340 car is done.

Thanks for getting back.

That's an overdrive shifter, for sure, the O.D. four speed trucks used those, too. They work fine with a regular four speed, too, though.
Thanks Garrett. Good to know they work fine with non OD 833. Is the shape a go for a bench or bucket seat 70-72 duster/demon.
Thanks

Rusty. I assume this is out of a 833 OD. It’s supposed to be from a duster as demons were gone in 73 but maybe a feather duster, scamp or something similar like darts after the gas crunch.
So this shifter has the same shape and will work with an A body 833 non OD and OD trans?
Would you put a value of $50? The chrome is gone but if I use it will be as is or probably paint it in a beater knock around stick conversion duster or a ratty survivor looking car. Got a OEM restoration I’m starting on a 72 Duster 340 car and need something running to keep me motivated and to blow off steam for the next several years till the 340 car is done.

Thanks for getting back.
Yeah, it should work with any Mopar 4 speed transmission. The differences are all in the shift rods and levers. Yeah with it havin all that rust on it, I would say 50 is about right.

The Hump is 76-80 Aspen or Volare. Based off the way the shifter handle looks, I bet if you clean up the side of the shifter box, it will say ITM and not a Hurst unit.

The Hump is 76-80 Aspen or Volare. Based off the way the shifter handle looks, I bet if you clean up the side of the shifter box, it will say ITM and not a Hurst unit.
Now that you mention it, I think we discovered that on a recent thread about shifters. I guess the I means Inland?

Thanks for getting back.
Just saw this thread, wish I'd have cut out the hump from the Aspen wagon the OD 4spd I took came out of, those are much more scarce than A-body ones I'm sure. There's probably good value there, shop it over at the F-M-J site, probably some takers there.

Late to the game as well, but judging by the terrible wrinkling in the tunnel stamping, it's an F/M-body floor extension. The paint color is a dead ringer for '80/'81 M9 Baron Red, too. The shifter is an Inland item, likely the "lift to reverse" unit. The later Inland/ITM look much more "Hurst-y" (the Hurst will even bolt to the ITM bracket) but they're totally different internally. The rods do not interchange with Hurst units despite looking very similar. The ITM bracket has a different offset so the bends are wrong.

Here's my own F/M-body floor tunnel (which also fits J-bodies, for the record):

100_4702.JPG

100_4703.JPG

Late to the game as well, but judging by the terrible wrinkling in the tunnel stamping, it's an F/M-body floor extension. The paint color is a dead ringer for '80/'81 M9 Baron Red, too. The shifter is an Inland item, likely the "lift to reverse" unit. The later Inland/ITM look much more "Hurst-y" (the Hurst will even bolt to the ITM bracket) but they're totally different internally. The rods do not interchange with Hurst units despite looking very similar. The ITM bracket has a different offset so the bends are wrong.

Here's my own F/M-body floor tunnel (which also fits J-bodies, for the record):

View attachment 1716002823

View attachment 1716002824
You seem to know these cars well, I assume the 76-80 F body pedals also fit the M/J platforms? I have been told yes, but just asking for more confirmation.

You seem to know these cars well, I assume the 76-80 F body pedals also fit the M/J platforms? I have been told yes, but just asking for more confirmation.
They do. I have done 4-speed swaps on both M- and J-body cars using the F-body parts. Regarding the '80-'81 M-body coupes, it's literally a part-for-part swap since those were the only M-bodies built on the 108" wheelbase (they actually use F-body coupe doors and windshield). On the longer-WB cars, you need a new/rebuilt (lengthened) driveshaft. I thought about using a B/E-body trans on my Imperial but the shifter ends up in the wrong spot, although a '71-'74 B-body bench shifter would be pretty close.

I've got some in-process pictures of the swap on my '81 LeBaron if anyone wants to see 'em, although the car was never finished.

I'm pretty sure the 4-speed tunnel in my picture came from you, Dan. It's for my '82 Imperial.

They do. I have done 4-speed swaps on both M- and J-body cars using the F-body parts. Regarding the '80-'81 M-body coupes, it's literally a part-for-part swap since those were the only M-bodies built on the 108" wheelbase (they actually use F-body coupe doors and windshield). On the longer-WB cars, you need a new/rebuilt (lengthened) driveshaft. I thought about using a B/E-body trans on my Imperial but the shifter ends up in the wrong spot, although a '71-'74 B-body bench shifter would be pretty close.

I've got some in-process pictures of the swap on my '81 LeBaron if anyone wants to see 'em, although the car was never finished.

I'm pretty sure the 4-speed tunnel in my picture came from you, Dan. It's for my '82 Imperial.
Thank you for the clarifications. When I seen the pic of the tunnel I thought the same thing.

There were 1977-'80 M-bodies built with manual transmissions, by the way--both A833OD and A230. Either is exceptionally rare, but I've only seen one numbers 3-speed car.

-
Back